Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz XMP PROBLEM

Danny_93

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
Hi guys. I have an MSI Z170A SLI board with an i7-6700k. The i7 is currently stable at 4.6GHZ (4 V VCore). I've tried enabling XMP @ 3000 MHZ in MSI click BIOS 5 but the machine fails to post and I have to clear the CMOS. I've since tried manually stepping into XMP slowly to see if I can get there and I'm only able to get to 2400 MHz (anything higher and it fails to post and I have to reset CMOS). I've gone into advance DRAM settings and configured according to the XMP profile for the RAM as listed below:
Voltage - 1.35V
Cycle Time 1 CLK (I se command rate to 1 in click bios 5)
tCL - 15 CLK
tRCD - 17 CLK
tRP - 17 CLK
tRAS - 35 CLK
tRFC - 525 CLK
tRRD - 6 CLK
tRRD_L - 8 CLK
tFAW - 33 CLK
tRC - 52 CLK (I see no option for this in click bios so I didn't change anything)

Am I going about this right or can someone recommend something so I can get the 3000MHz out of this kit? (or should I be happy with where I got)

For what it's worth I do photo editing (and occasionally video) and casual gaming.

EDIT - In case anyone wonders, I have not touched Vsa and Vio (I've read to set those to 1.15V, but when I do so it fails to boot again). Right now they are set at auto.

Could be the silicon lottery for your CPU. Some just don't like higher memory frequencies , especially when CPU cores are overclocked. My 5820k doesn't like my XMP 2800 and 3000 profiles, even at stock CPU speed. I can mess with settings, and POST sometimes and run fine, but ended dropping to 2666 and tightening the timings. You can try VSA adjustments, as AUTO doesn't work well for my CPU with VCCSA either. In normal circumstances, you are correct and should just need to enable XMP and that's it, though still check to see that it doesn't mess with Vcore, ect.

LOTRouter

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I had the same problem with this memory, and was able to get it stable at 3000MHz by lowering the DRAM Voltage to 1.29v
I know, lowering the voltage is counter intuitive, but it worked for me.

RicarBit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yes, I have the exactly same memory and my CR is set to 2