Computer Shuts Down at Windows10 Logo After SSD Install

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I just installed a new SSD and installed Windows 10 using a boot DVD. Windows installed fine to the SSD and I restarted booting off the SSD.

Then I installed my other HDDs to the motherboard and now the computer shuts off when the windows logo appears (~5 seconds after I hit the power button). I tried to remove all HDDs and boot from just the SSD and it still has the problem.

If I boot to the BIOS it loads fine and stays on while in BIOS. Was the Windows 10 install corrupted? Why would it load fine first with just the SSD but then not with the HDDs if it's corrupted?

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Yes, I'd like to keep everything I have on them. So you're saying to re-installed windows? Since I have it on the SSD already is there any way I can clear this off before doing a fresh install?

If you boot from your DVD drive when you have only your DVD drive and windows installed, it will go about installing it to the SSD, follow along, enter product key, select custom installation. When you reach the screen that looks like this: https://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/45431d1262556182-partition-hard-drive-windows-7-install-partition_08.png

select any partitions already on the SSD, and erase them, then create a new windows partition, and finish installation

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Ok I'll try a fresh install of windows. I only booted from DVD because it won't when I try from USB. I'm worried the disk might be corrupted. Do you have any idea why it wouldn't work from USB? I loaded the files (using Windows Creation Tool) but when I try to boot from USB with just that and SSD I get stuck exiting BIOS with something like "checking NVRAM". My RAM is fine

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

I tried to do this but when I get to the Select what drive to install I get an error saying A media driver your computer needs is missing. This could be a DVD, USB, or Hard disk driver. My SSD and Windows 10 disk are both in and recognized in the BIOS. p

My guess is that the ISO file on the DVD is corrupted. I'm going to try with a new DVD and a fresh install using Windows Media Creation tool.

Update: I re-downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file and tried to burn it and when the burn program tries to verify it fails to read sectors. I tried this on my computer and another. Same thing both times. I also tried boot from USB but it doesn't work. It gets stuck exiting the BIOS at "checking for NVRAM".

Update2: I'm going to boot from the HDD that has a working version of Windows 10 and format the SSD to hopefully get rid of the Windows 10 install on there because I think it is corrupted and causing my issues. Now the next problem is figuring out how I can install Windows to the SSD. I can't seem to burn successfully to DVD (I'm getting errors on the verify step) and I can't boot from USB.

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
When I try to create a copy of Windows 10 on my USB it creates it as a bunch of files, not an ISO. Should it be an ISO if i'm trying to boot from USB? For DVDs I know it needs to be ISO.

How did you try and create a Windows 10 USB??

It should either have the files on it, if you brought it. You cant copy windows 10 from a system that it's been installed on. It wont work

Or if you downloaded the ISO, you have to use something like rufus to extract the files in the ISO to the flash drive

You dont copy the ISO as is to a flash drive, or a blank dvd. It's not bootable

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

I loaded it using window's Media Creation Tool which seems designed to create a bootable USB/DVD. I just tried to "burn" the Windows 10 ISO to a USB using Microsoft's USB/DVD Download Tool. I'll report back if that works.

Use rufus. I think the tool can create probs if you use it to put the files on a flash drive

If your system has a UEFI bios and if it's 64 bit windows select GPT as the partition in rufus before you add the ISO, then click on start. If it doesnt have a UEFI BIOS select MBR.

Once it's finishes, reboot, change the bootdisk to the flash drive in the BIOS, save settings boot from it

If you use rufus if you want anything off the flash drive copy it first, because rufus will format it

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Ok I'll give this a shot. I don't have UEFI BIOS so I'll go with MBR. I'll report back

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

No luck :(

I've read online that people with the same board have hit F8 to go into the Boot Selection Process which is different from the BIOS. The F8 button on my keyboard doesn't seemto be working (of course). I'm going to try to get a new keyboard and see if that can work.

Hello, Use this link to download the Windows 10 ISO, do NOT use the media creation tool;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

After you have the Windows 10 ISO on any computer, use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick or use Windows to create a DVD. DO NOT use the media creation tool.

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

The link you provided directs back to the Media Creation Tool. Is there another location I should download from?

ethanpurdy

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012

Just tried this and still no luck. I tried with a different flash drive and still not working.

Everything seems to load but it seems to get stuck at the "checking NVRAM" step. Any ideas?