windows 8.1 install on Kaby Lake system

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I am building a new Kaby Lake system on an Asus B250 motherboard and have a $200 Windows 8.1 retail license I would like to use on the system but supposedly Kaby Lake won't work on Windows 8.1. After the 8.1 install, I thought I might be able to upgrade to Windows 10 free by using the 8.1 license key. Since Kaby Lake and SkyLake cpus and chipsets are so similar is it possible that Windows 8.1 might install and activate long enough to upgrade to Windows 10 free?
If this won't work, I could buy an Intel Skylake cpu and use Windows 8.1 on that and then upgrade to Windows 10. Has anyone installed Windows 8.1 pro on a Kaby Lake system using the latest motherboard chipset?

tlalotoani

Reputable
Aug 10, 2015
Apparently Kaby Lake is not oficially supported by Windows 7/8/8.1.

I saw a youtube video of a guy installing Windows 8 in a Kaby Lake system, and... everithing worked fine, no problems at all.

In the video the guy was a little impressed with the fact that Windows 8 ran without problems in a Kaby Lake system, apparently it´s something official.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Found my own answer. Using the Microsoft "Media Creation Tool" I can install Windows 10 right from the start on the new PC using the Windows 8.1 pro key (as long as the version of Windows 10 is the "Anniversary Edition" which allows this method of installing Windows 10 free with a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 license key) I have a usb key already with this Windows 10 version that I had used a week ago to upgrade a different PC.

For more information on still upgrading to Windows 10 free see this url:

http://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Response to tlalotoani:

I worded that poorly.....what I had read was that Intel and Microsoft wil not be supporting anything but Windows 10 on Intel's Kaby Lake systems. There are numerous stories on the net confirming that.