Windows 10 Memory Issues

SynfulReaoer

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
This issue started when I updated my audio drivers using Msi live update 6, I installed it and my computer stopped detecting my headset and speakers, so I system restored it back to see if that fixed the issue, it did but with a side effect of when the computer is on for about 5 - 10 minutes, the memory shoots from 35% to 100% and I have to reset my computer because I am unable to do anything, I have tried a few fixes but it just seems it stop the issue for an extra minute or so before it returns to what it has been doing. I am unsure what to do at this point.

Solution
Try doing a clean boot - it will tell you if its windows or a start up program at fault

You can download processor explorer, it might show you what is chewing up your memory (My guess its a driver)

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under local host, but unlike the other one, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try doing a clean boot - it will tell you if its windows or a start up program at fault

You can download processor explorer, it might show you what is chewing up your memory (My guess its a driver)

Download Process explorer and run it as admin (it comes from Microsoft so its safe)

the default view is tree structure meaning like your task manager screen, it will show what processes are under local host, but unlike the other one, it shows the ram usage of each part so you can see what is eating your ram

Private bytes = actual ram usage
Working set = Ram + page file usage

This page shows what all the colours and headings mean, link at bottom of it shows how to use it to find problems. You can right click headers and run an av scan from within the program.

How far back did you system restore? does live update 6 create a restore point before installing drivers?

Solution

SynfulReaoer

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
The clean boot did the trick, from here I would just slowly re enable everything correct? As to the Msi save points, it created them when I updated the driver, and I sent the restore back to February 3rd. Also on the process explorer it showed there was 19 svchost.exe and 4 or so conhost. Once I tried enabling things the problem returned, I can screen shot my startup programs if needed.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, add them until you reproduce behaviour, it could be Anti virus as system restore often messes with them

svhost is the process services run under, so in process explorer you best running it in tree view as it would show what is running under the svhost

SynfulReaoer

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I apologize one quick stupid question before I go about doing that, would I be slowly re activating the tabs in msconfig, or in the startup tab of task manager. I want to make sure I am activating the right ones first.

SynfulReaoer

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
So I started reactivating programs, and I have narrowed it down to 4 programs, Hamachi Client Application, Java Update Scheduler, Live Update 6 Application, and CurseClientStartup. Thank you for the help with this issue, it is one of these programs but I dont want to mess with them seeing my computer is now actually working.

SynfulReaoer

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Oh its no problem, your original post was exactly what I needed, I appreciate you even responded so late in the night, thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it!

TRENDING THREADS