is this legal?

souflex

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
hey everyone, this may sound like a rookie question but i am exactly that lol ! so i have a copy of windows 10 pro that i bought from the online store, my question is, if i was to remove it from my pc with the intention to install it on another pc, would that be considered any type of copyright infringement ?

Solution
If you bought it separately (wasn't bundled with the PC), is not an OEM version, and the store was legit, then yes you can transfer it to a new system. Just be sure to remove it from the old system first (i.e. both are not running simultaneously).

Worst case the automatic activation will fail since it thinks it's still being used on your old system. You'll have to call Microsoft, explain it's a retail copy and you've upgraded to a new computer, and they'll let you activate it over the phone.

Deniedstingray

Honorable
Nov 2, 2015
Im not sure if you are able to activate it on a new machine, but if you could it would still only be one copy so it would be fine.

If you bought it separately (wasn't bundled with the PC), is not an OEM version, and the store was legit, then yes you can transfer it to a new system. Just be sure to remove it from the old system first (i.e. both are not running simultaneously).

Worst case the automatic activation will fail since it thinks it's still being used on your old system. You'll have to call Microsoft, explain it's a retail copy and you've upgraded to a new computer, and they'll let you activate it over the phone.

Solution