Windows 10 won't boot anymore after normal shutdown

TNTastrophe

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
Hello
So last night I shut down my PC normally and this morning when I turned it on it always starts up the automatic repair.
So I have tried all the options in the automatic repair and have also booted Linux over a USB to see if all of my drives are still functioning, which they are.
I have my windows installed on a Samsung 120GB SSD and have all my games, files and Programms on a 4TB seagate SSHD. I also have a 4TB WD Blue connected over USB to backup the SSD and SSHD with Syncback.
Now when I was shutting down my PC Sycback was still syncing files but I had to go to bed so I just shut it down anyway. I don't know if that might have messed something up. The only other new programm I have installed was this Live wallpaper Programm from Steam. Also the last few days I have been compressing a lot of big video files with media encoder.
Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated. I would try and avoid a reinstall since I have a lot of Programms which would take a long time to reinstall.

Some PC specs:
Mobo: ASUS Sabretooth X99
CPU: i7 5930k
GPU: EVGA 980ti FTW SC+

Solution
Forced shutdown when the OS is still running always has the potential of corrupting the operating system......which it sounds like you have.

If automatic repair has failed, then you'll need to restore from an image. If you never set up Windows 10 built-in backup/restore, system/disk image (with external repair disk) and file history - recommended - then you're at the mercy of SyncBack. If that has failed too, then you'll need to refresh/reinstall.

I would, even if you continue to use SyncBack because you like it, at least set up system restore points.....but still recommend system images and repair disks anyway.

Geekwad

Admirable
Forced shutdown when the OS is still running always has the potential of corrupting the operating system......which it sounds like you have.

If automatic repair has failed, then you'll need to restore from an image. If you never set up Windows 10 built-in backup/restore, system/disk image (with external repair disk) and file history - recommended - then you're at the mercy of SyncBack. If that has failed too, then you'll need to refresh/reinstall.

I would, even if you continue to use SyncBack because you like it, at least set up system restore points.....but still recommend system images and repair disks anyway.

Solution

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
when you start up windows use step by step line install. That should tell the computer start up is screwy. Once you install line by line and get to desktop screen, try restart, see if that corrects problem.

TNTastrophe

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

So I have had finally some time to start reinstalling most of my programs after all of my school tests... :) Thanks I didn't think that force shutdown could corrupt Windows so bad. I also never used Windows Backup programm since I always thought it wasn't 100% secure. So is there a way it can only Backup my windows settings and Programms.

TNTastrophe

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013

hmm ok. I just reinstalled Windows read it too late. But thanks anyway.