Looking for eSports Monitor with Good Viewing Angle

hugin7

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
My ancient CRT monitor is finally starting to show signs of age by developing an occasional yellow flicker, so I'm considering a new purchase. For reference, please see my build at the bottom of the post.

The PC will be used for gaming and software development. World of Warcraft is my primary game and performance must be seamless - I have achieved world #1 Mythic parses in the past and lag/motion blur/stuttering is unacceptable in raids.

Other games I play include RPGs such as Witcher 3, League of Legends, and StarCraft 2. As with WoW, I'm competitive and performance is important. While I don't currently play ultra-demanding FPS games, I want to have the flexibility to play them in the future.

I've been hesitant to ditch my CRT because of an impression that flat screen monitors still don't offer the same overall level of performance as CRTs. IPS monitors have accurate colors and great viewing angles, but tend to suffer from poor refresh rates and motion blur. Meanwhile, TN gaming monitors are more responsive, but have poor colors and viewing angles.

I value the following attributes the most:

• Performance: high response time/refresh rate, low motion blur and eye fatigue.
    Viewing Angle: my wife often watches next to me. She sits roughly 45 degrees off center and 4-5 feet away. A slight yellow shade is acceptable, but I don't want to degrade her experience too much.

Color accuracy is not important to me. I also don't value high resolution or large screen size, especially since they take away from performance and require higher-end graphics cards. A 24-inch 1080p monitor is probably ideal.

If my wife wasn't in the picture, a high-performance TN monitor would probably be a no-brainer. Unfortunately, performance and viewing angle are conflicting goals given the current state of the monitor market.

I often see monitors such as Dell UltraSharp U2715H recommended for WoW and even faster-paced games. While I agree that such monitors perform well enough to satisfy casual players, I'm not certain that they meet my standards, especially coming from a good CRT. I'm sensitive to motion blur and I noticed it on other players' IPS monitors even as they casually quested.

Initially, monitors like Acer Predator XB271HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator...=amazon0606-20) captured my attention. It is a fast IPS monitor designed for gaming. However, it's a 27-incher with a 1440p display, so it might be too much even for a GTX 1070 card. Purchasing this monitor would force me to spend hundreds to upgrade to a 1080, and I would have to buy fancier GPUs for the rest of this monitor's life just to power its extreme size and resolution. Since I'm fine with 1080p and 24 inches, this feels wasteful. The few other IPS gaming monitors I've seen have the same issues; perhaps a 1080p, 24-inch version of this monitor would fit my needs, but to my knowledge, it doesn't exist.

Another option is to go with a high-end TN monitor, such as Acer Predator XB241H (https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB241H-bmipr-1920x1080/dp/B01C05C1OK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1469552223&sr=8-1&keywords=1080p+g+sync&linkCode=sl1&tag=bestgamingstu-20&linkId=42dadb3d9b3347137ddb77a9a147318a). I have my doubts regarding the quality control and viewing angles of such monitors.

I'm looking forward to reading everyone's suggestions on how to address my somewhat odd situation.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DRMM6X
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DRMM6X/by_merchant/

• CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($343.49 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($187.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($116.99 @ Best Buy)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($394.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($116.98 @ OutletPC)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1822.45
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 12:39 EST-0500

Solution
To be completely honest you're being a bit too picky for your own good, you can't stick with CRTs forever. I'd suggest finding a low response time IPS monitor with ~1 frame of input lag (such as you've already found) and simply getting used to it.

2k @ 144hz+ paired with a GTX 1080 would last you a good while with the games you play, especially with WoW which can run on a toaster. Even a 1070 would give you solid frames in even new games right now.

If you do end up playing demanding games X years from now, simply sell your current GPU and upgrade with the cost offset by the profit.

You have the money to build a near $2,000 computer, no reason you can't upgrade every few years as needed if being on that level of competition is...

Dr Girlfriend

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
To be completely honest you're being a bit too picky for your own good, you can't stick with CRTs forever. I'd suggest finding a low response time IPS monitor with ~1 frame of input lag (such as you've already found) and simply getting used to it.

2k @ 144hz+ paired with a GTX 1080 would last you a good while with the games you play, especially with WoW which can run on a toaster. Even a 1070 would give you solid frames in even new games right now.

If you do end up playing demanding games X years from now, simply sell your current GPU and upgrade with the cost offset by the profit.

You have the money to build a near $2,000 computer, no reason you can't upgrade every few years as needed if being on that level of competition is important to you.

Solution