Hybrid Cooling vs Custom Loop

nintox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2014
I'm curious what is the better option for cooling? I realize a custom loop will potentially more cooling faster but the Hybrid has the addition of air cooling.

I'd like to do a new rig within the next year (maybe Ryzen) and am thinking about taking the dive into custom cooling from my H100i and 1080 Hybrid.

I haven't played with the overclock on my 1080 yet, but I did see some disturbing sub-20 frames playing the Wildlands beta this past weekend. So I believe a little tweaking is in order.

burtman88

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Well i have a custom loop i built back in 2011. Been running strong since then, Whats nice is you can add and remove stuff. I got rid of my 580 gtx liquid cooled, added MSI EK X 1070 Gtx to the loop. Every once in awhile u will need to clean out old liquid add new liquid. Now that have quick disconnect tubes, or draning systems make it much easier which i dont have lol. Other thing is it gets pricey to do custom loop. I spent a lot on mine in the past well over 400. I bought the best i could at the time. Iam using swiftec Mp something pump cost me 130 dollars. Bought radiator from Ek cooler website, also 5.25 slot coolant reservoir. Danger Den cpu water block for 2600k, which is nice since i can use same water block and mount brackets for 1151. I have had hoses pop off and submerge my pc in coolant. Which was my fault in the past reaching my hands in there not checking to see if i loosened a hose. All in all i love it, my pc can be complete silenced over clocked and sit around 42 c under full load. This is with a huge oc max out the 1070 samsung mem :) and 2600k to 5.1 ghz. sounds like a turbine i sit around 37 c max if i want to set fans 2500 rpms. When i am running simple games and doing a 4.6 ghz oc with 2600k and standard speed with 1070 gtx i sit at 28 celcius max.

I don't water cool my cpu but I do use a hybrid 980ti , works great ? I guess if I had a loop for the cpu then a hydrocooper / block style would be better and just tie it in to the loop ??

or just use the h100 on the cpu and the hybrid card just seems a bit more overhead doing that but should be fine as well

may read up on NVidia gpu boost 3 and how its a bit different then older series boost used

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/29.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/15

seeing how temps dictate throttling I can see where a liquid cooled pascal card may be handy to help keep that in check ????