i7 4790k Not letting me play games or launch certain programs

Ov3rClock

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Basically, I just bought the i7 4790k. Great processor. At first the installation and everything was fine. When I tried to launch Rust it would not let me, so I tried Arma 3 and it worked but very low fps for such a good cpu. I uninstalled rust and installed it but in between also updated the Bios for the mother board since I could not find a thread about this problem... Everything seems to be fine and I can not figure out the issue. I played games fine yesterday the first day I got it, but now I can not play anything.

My keyboard and headset (corsair) were off, as in the lights were not working on either one but I could still use them. I could not open the corsair program so i needed to restart my pc and that fixed it.. I have no idea what is going on but I would really appreciate some help. here are my specs.

R9 390 8gb
i7 4790k
1tb hard drive
16g ram ddr3
MSI Sli krait edition mobo
750 watt corsair power supply

Keep in mind after I updated to the most recent version of my motherboards bois It worked fine. The only Issue I noticed was that when I updated bios and my pc started up again there was a black screen and a tiny A2 at the bottom right, sometimes it switched to A9. This was fixed after I removed the usb which I used for the update.

(all my hardware is basically new and comp temps are fine)
I also for the first time in my life received a pc crash (blue screen) yesterday as I was playing Arma 3. I am running on win 10.

Ov3rClock

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

I previously had the i5 4460. I only updated my mobo bios plus my graphics card driver that's it.

Ov3rClock

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

I have the corsair h60, I ran games fine yesterday no overheating. I also did not over clock. Looking at the temp on MSI afterburner it jumps from 31-45 idle. Just have discord, google chrome, and steam open.

I am also on the msi website looking at system and chipset drivers, do you recommend I download this and install it? I have never done this before it is my first cpu change.

Ov3rClock

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

yeah I am willing to reinstall windows I just dont know how to do it.

But I also never updated my chipset, from my previous cpu.. will that be a problem? (downloaded some sort of chipset driver from the msi website for the krait mobo and it restarted my pc, dont know if it fixed anything.

Well, you said you updated the BIOS, so that would be the only major concern for the CPU not working.

If you're on Windows 10, reinstalling windows is actually really easy.

Got to Start > Settings > Updates and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC > choose the Remove Everything option.

After that's all finished, you'll have to download all your drivers again, BUT it gives us a clean slate to work with and may fix the problem.

Ov3rClock

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Im guessing this will wipe my hard drive but alright I will reinstall it.

Ov3rClock

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Well I reinstalled win-10 and I really wish I did not do that, the new version is absolute trash and I can not get rid of cortana unlike my previous version. Also it says I have taken up around 800gb of space. I only downloaded about 7 programs so I dont know whats up with that. I am installing mods and games now to see if it is fixed.

Ov3rClock

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015

Okay after re-installing win 10 twice (first time it had files 2nd time was a fresh install) I updated my graphics driver for my 390 and tried playing Rust. AND IT FROZE AFTER I HIT PLAY WHATS NEW. I have not downloaded any other games so far but it seems that the re-install has not fixed the problem. (Rust never froze on that screen ever in my life)

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Your board is a 8* series board I assume? It doesn't support devil's canyon chips until it had a bios update. That is what fixed it. The CPU wasn't fully supported until the bios update