Need help with my new 4k monitor

Tommy616

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
Hi guys would really appreciate any help on this....
Just purchased a Asus pa329q 4k monitor.. I have a power Mac g5 2008 and I've tried connecting it through dvi - hdmi and it's just coming up no signal.. will I need a new graphics card to run its full resolution through a display port? Any help greatly appreciated I'm not gaming purely for photo editing

thatjasonkid

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
This monitor only has HDMI 2.0 ports and DisplayPort. The HDMI cable you are using is probably lower than the 2.0 version. There should have been a video cable in the box which the monitor came in - if you haven't already, try using that cable. If that cable doesn't work, it's probably either a faulty cable or faulty port. If you have any other monitors, try your cable/s on that monitor and if they work its probably a faulty port on the 4k monitor. If it doesn't work that it might be a faulty cable and you could ask the shop that you bought it from for a replacement.

Tommy616

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

Tommy616

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
Thanks for your response Jason, I've tried the cable with another monitor which works, I've also plugged my bluray player in via hdmi which also works, as my mac only has two dvi connections I'm assuming that I will need to upgrade the graphics card to one with a display port? I understand that the monitor is 4k and the mac is running 1080? I really want to be able to run the screen in 4k to maximise it's resolution, thanks again for the response

thatjasonkid

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Yes you will have to upgrade your graphics card to one with a display port - most graphics cards these days have display ports anyway. If you need help finding one, just tell me your budget and I can try and find a good one.

Tommy616

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017