Win10 usb install gone bad - Boot configuration issues

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
A year ago this forum helped me in a great way with a horrible problem. I got an other dead end so I come for help once again...

My 2,5 year old laptop has been getting slower and slower so I decided to format the HDD and install a fresh version of Win10 on it.
At first I wanted to use the built-in option in the Recovery menu, deleting all my files etc (yes I did backup what I wanted to keep). This did not work as it could not find a recovery file for some reason. I tried everything that I could find, nothing worked, still same error every time, so I decided to take a bit less simple approach.

I got a Win10 downloaded onto a usb, prioritized the usb in the BIOS and proceed to install the new copy of Win10 with just Win10. So a fresh copy, while formatting the old stuff. So far so good, the Setup does its thing from there. The entire installation goes fine up until it completes and I get the following error message: "The Boot configuration of this computer can not be updated. The installation can not be completed." (mind you this is a translation from Dutch, it might be a tad different in the English version).

From this point I can only turn the laptop off... Returning to my old windows installation does not work anymore.. I did some research and found the following solution that seemed to be it: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/fix-0xc0000034-error-windows-10

This all works fine up to step 12.. Here I get the following message: "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

This is where I am stuck now, and I can not find anything that might solve it...

Sorry for the long read, thanks in advance!

Additional info:
Laptop is an Acer V3 - 772G
I did not use a Win10 CD as the laptop came with Win8 installed when I bought it, never had CD nor a Win verification code.

Solution
Test the hard drive with Seatools for DOS or Windows. DOS one is preferred as it doesn't rely on Windows loading to work. Run short tests then long tests. Any errors mean drive is failing and you need to replace it.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
When you got to the point in the installation where you see the partitions, did you delete all of them so you only had unallocated space? That is the best way to go. Then when you hit next Windows will create all the partitions as needed.

If this too fails you may have a bad hard drive.

Please be sure of the following:
1) You have loaded optimized defaults in BIOS (you may need to reconfigure USB as first boot after loading defaults)
2) The laptop is plugged in (this sometimes makes a difference)
3) The USB install media is the only external device that is attached to the laptop. Any external displays, USB devices, etc should be unplugged until you finish installing then you can plug them in and search for drivers

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Yes I deleted them all and formatted the one you can't delete... This gives me the described result. The laptop was working ( albeit slow) fine a few hours earlier.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Yes, these criteria are all met. It did not work at all when I still had my wireless mouse usb receiver in. After I took that out it worked.

Computer_Whiz42

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

Have you tried another fresh install?

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Not on this system, no. How do you mean?

He means put in the install media (USB in your case) and fresh install again. When you get to the part where it asks you where to install, delete all partitions until you're left with one big unallocated space and press Next. Windows will set up partitions on its own.

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Yes, this is what I have done already. Sorry if that was not clear before. I get the same error that I mentioned as before.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Test the hard drive with Seatools for DOS or Windows. DOS one is preferred as it doesn't rely on Windows loading to work. Run short tests then long tests. Any errors mean drive is failing and you need to replace it.

Solution

dawille

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016

Yeap, cheers. Errors were had.... I will be replacing my hdd. Odd how this seemed to have been triggered by attempting to reinstall windows though.

It may have been there for some time and the old install just learned how to deal with it, but now that you're doing a fresh install, it has no idea what to do. IDK if that's even remotely accurate, but it's my theory. :D