Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
Hi, i'm running with
cpu: i7 6700k
samsung ssd 950 pro
mobo: GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
gpu: gtx 1080 windforce
ram: corsair 8gbx2 3000mhz

So basically, everything is fine. The other day I restarted the pc (instead of shutting it down and starting it back on again. I'm saying this because I've had some strange issued a few months back and stopped restarting.) and I started getting random freezes while browsing the internet. I noticed it because pages wouldn't load, then the pc would just stop working and I had to manually reboot.
Today it would just freeze on startup so i had to use the recovery tool and roll the system back a couple of weeks. It seemed to work, except for when I was using the HD Tune "error scan" tool or while downloading League of Legends, when it would just freeze again. I noticed on the Task Manager that my Disk usage would just spike from 0-4% to 100% quickly in both cases. If I stop the processes before they reach 100%, the Disk usage normalizes back to low values quickly, but if it does reach 100%, I basically can't use the pc anymore. Additional info: I'm getting random high disk usage on startup, even with a Clean Boot. Plus the usage doesn't really seem to be stable overall, but I'm not sure if it's an issue since I've never bothered checking it.
Also, under the advanced task manager, there's basically no MB/s processes that justify the high percentage. Sometimes it would reach 100% with 0.2 MB/s.
I've been trying every solution I could find on google and that's why I'm writing here: I'm pretty much desperate.

Thanks in advance to anyone who's gonna try to help.

rkzhao

Respectable
Mar 8, 2016
hmm ok, that's odd.

I don't know if that means the drive didn't respond to the SMART command or it just timed out in HDTune. Considering that magician can pull some basic info, I'm guessing HD Tune just timed out...

Something with the drive definitely seems questionable. Try another tool like CrystalDiskInfo maybe.

If you don't mind formatting the drive and reinstalling everything, it might not be a bad idea to just to do a secure erase through Magician and start over clean.

Federico_11

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

So if i do a secure erase through Magician, what do I have to do next? Have an usb stick ready with w10 in it or what? Thanks

rkzhao

Respectable
Mar 8, 2016
The secure erase function on an SSD essentially restores the NAND to an all erased state, just like you would have had when you first bought the drive.

So yeah, you would probably need a windows boot drive.

rkzhao

Respectable
Mar 8, 2016
With CrystalDiskMark, you have to scroll through to the other attributes too. From that screenshot, nothing pops out. The drive looks barely used and shouldn't be having any physical defects.