Combining two monitors with different resolutions, anything to watch out for before deciding?

steffeeh

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Right now I have dual 24" 1080p monitors on my computer where I both do work, game and do media creation (my work also involves media creation).
Lately I've started planning to upgrade my gaming experience and switch one screen to a 24" 4k one with a suitable GPU.
I plan this well in advance so I can get everything right and wait for new GPU's to hopefully get released.
So I won't do the upgrade until April/May.

At first I decided between 4k and 1440p 144Hz, but I just seem to like 4k more than the extra frames, so I'm tilting towards 4k (I got the chance two game on both a 4k system and a 1440p 144Hz system).

However, I'm starting to wonder if it's really a good idea to have a 4k and a 1080p monitor?
Sure I can do the re-scaling on the 4k monitor so the desktop mimics the 1080p monitor etc, but I'm not sure how the media creation programs will translate, especially since the main program is using both monitors.
The media creation program are video editing and photo editing, but mostly audio editing using a DAW. The DAW (FL Studio) includes lots of plugins as "pop-up windows" or whatever to call it, and I'm unsure if those windows would get teeny tiny on the 4k display to such degree that it will make my workflow harder, or if they will re-scale and translate well?

What are your thoughts?

If needed I could afford getting a second 4k screen, or at least combine with a regular 1440p 60Hz screen to lighten this issue, but that would increase my budget.

Or would you still grab a 1440p screen instead of a 4k one just to avoid issues?

Solution
Umm, I try to avoid mixing resolutions whenever possible-too many headaches that outweigh the benefits, and I use three, but for a brave soul it would be nice to have a 4K