All of our pc's black screen while we were idle

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Hi, a weird thing happened today at the office. First my pc went black screen and nothing was working alt+ctrl+del didnt do anything, so i had to reboot. After 1 hour my partners the same and after a few another guys the exact same thing. Is this a virus? We are all on the same network thats the one common factor and the other is we are all using win 10 and we were idle when the pc went black. Any kind of help/ thoughts really appreciated.

Solution
Yes check for a virus.

Also check the Event Viewer logs on each computer. If the problem is related to some update then all of the computers are likely to present the same error code information.

The log entry should be just before or at the time of the black screening.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016

I LoL'ed at that!

Perhaps it is updates that are set to trigger whenever the user is idle and that there was a display driver update - this could explain it.

Oh wait! Re-read that you had to restart. If it was a power issue then it should happen to all the users simultaneously. Perhaps some scheduled updates that triggered a power issue? Are the computers identical?

thanulee

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Some are identical some are different. We suspect it is a virus. How can we check the entire network for power issues or viruses? thanks guys and sorry for the late reply for some reason i dont get notification for my post.

Or even better, how can we turn permanent off those win updates? Are too annoying and they happen also while we render in the middle of the night...

you can't turn auto updates off in windows 10 you can only delay them by setting a time frame

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017

You can by disabling the windows update service. It's a little annoying because you have to enable the service to do updates but I think that beats coming back to a computer the rebooted unexpectedly.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes check for a virus.

Also check the Event Viewer logs on each computer. If the problem is related to some update then all of the computers are likely to present the same error code information.

The log entry should be just before or at the time of the black screening.

Solution