serious college decisions

Mikeandike

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Ok, this is something that needs to be done. I am a 20 year old community college student and I am looking to transfer to a 4 year institution in the coming few years. however I've ran into a bit of a snag, for a computer science degree, should i go to a well known school for computer science by recruiters, or should I go to a school with a good program that may be less known. cost wise, the two schools are 30,000 and 15,000 respectively per semester. I know there may be a lot of open responses but any help, be it from the recruiters, businessmen, or general grads/non grads. Thank you all so much.

Solution
From speaking to grads myself, unless you're going to a top 10 school, a renowned school; Stanford, CalTech, MIT, RPI, etc., the piece of paper at the end of the day is a piece of paper, regardless if you go to private school A or public school A. If both schools have good programs, I would pick the one you like better; be it for its campus, be it for its location, be it for its price. Actually enjoying where you are will go a long way to motivate you to continue.

genthug

Honorable
From speaking to grads myself, unless you're going to a top 10 school, a renowned school; Stanford, CalTech, MIT, RPI, etc., the piece of paper at the end of the day is a piece of paper, regardless if you go to private school A or public school A. If both schools have good programs, I would pick the one you like better; be it for its campus, be it for its location, be it for its price. Actually enjoying where you are will go a long way to motivate you to continue.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with genthug.

Also consider the opportunities for "hands-on" work and internships via the respective colleges. Real world work during summertime may open up job opportunities after college or, if you work hard enough, maybe during college. Helps if there are multiple companies and agencies around with openings for students. An additional "location" consideration to follow genthug's suggestion.

And look a bit beyond just the technology. IT folks need a broader set of skills: writing, speaking, presentations, budget, planning, etc.. Especially to move into the management ranks. People skills. Look at the curriculum and plan to take a few such classes at what ever level you can.

I very much second the first part of genthug's response. Rarely does which college you go to/how much you paid to go to school make one lick of difference in what kind of job you get- your very expensive piece of paper (diploma) says the same thing on it. What actually does matter and can set you apart from the rest is your work history or other experiences you have had in that field, if you have any kind of unusual specialized training, and how well you interview. Essentially the only input that your college has on that is if they are either unusually good or unusually bad at getting their students outside industry exposure, and if they offer some desirable but uncommon specialized training. Otherwise, pick the least expensive one that is decently reputable, which is nearly always going to be a public state university.

Your responsibilities will be to as aggressively pursue outside work opportunities, contacts, and internships, and also to pay off your student loans as quickly as you can once you are done. Keep eating Ramen noodles (or Dave Ramsey's "rice and beans, and beans and rice") until those loans are gone. Otherwise the interest racks up quickly and is VERY expensive.