Win10 Failing to Install Updates

weirdoqueen

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
I realized I was having issues today when I was trying to plug in an Xbox 360 controller to my PC and couldn't auto-install drivers. I went to Update settings, which conveniently said it had an update ready for Xbox drivers, so I restarted just in case but nothing worked. Went back to update settings, and my PC said it had just installed the same update. Out of curiosity, I checked my update history and found that my PC has been trying to update my peripheral drivers since January 22nd, and it claims all of the updates were successful.

My OS Build is 14393.693, which is 2 behind the latest releases, which happened 1/26 and 1/30.

I tried Windows Update Troubleshooter but of course that didn't do much. I ran a Malwarebytes scan but it found nothing. I'm assuming resetting my OS will help, but reinstalling all my software will be a pain, especially as a college student.

Any tips on how I can fix this?

UPDATE**

I decided to give resetting a go, got to maybe 30% and I was told there was an error and resetting couldn't continue. So, it looks like my best option is to wipe when I have a chance (probably months from now, is there ever a good time to reinstall?). I tried running WinUpdate in safe mode w/ networking, but it told me I couldn't run safe mode in networking. Going to give that another go, otherwise I'll take any suggestions.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
go to task manager select services tab at the bottom of page open services. or type services.msc into run then go to find wuauserv then stop this and start again then go to windows update and search for updates.

weirdoqueen

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

There doesn't seem to be a service by that name.

weirdoqueen

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

I opened it by typing services.msc into run, but I double checked by using the task manager option. Still not there.

JQYtg9R.png

weirdoqueen

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

Found it! It was already stopped. I was able to start it, so how can I check that it works? Should I just see if my updates will actually install?

weirdoqueen

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
I followed that solution, and I seem to be back where I started. Windows says the drivers have been successfully updated, but no changes have been made, and it still cannot find the system updates that it needs.