Cannot log into windows 10 from start screen, log-in screen appears then disapears

bevis999

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
I cannot log into windows 10 after the laptop starts up normally. There are only two icons on that appear on the bottom right corner of the screen, the wireless and battery status icon. So I cannot get into safe mode. I tried to use the media creation tool with a USB and changing the boot order but that does not work either. It just boots normal and goes to the start screen when I try this method. Getting frustrated and not sure what to do next

Solution
Re: power button: Normally when you press the power button in the bottom right of screen, it offers choices of sleep, shutdown or restart - its this menu you hold shift and click restart in, i guess it doesn't on that screen you are getting.. was worth a try.

What did the different screen look like that appeared last time? easier if you could take screenshots. We need to boot off USB it seems but need to figure out why its ignoring your usb drive now.

Are you tapping the enter key as it boots as it might need...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Are you attached to a network as sometimes the square doesn't appear if you aren't. Have you tried a restart?

what make/model laptop do you have? do you know the button to use to access bios as often you can hold it down before you start laptop to force way into bios.

if you can get installer booting, run a start up repair and see if that fixes it

change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

if that doesn't help, you can use this to copy anything off C drive you want to keep off laptop: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

I would suggest a Reset IT only touches C drive and basically sets windows to brand new. The problem with this error is I don't know if it is your user playing up or a windows function that doesn't load the screen.

If it is just the screen, then doing a reset and keeping all your files (everything in library folders (like music, documents, pictures, movies, etc)) and settings (including logins) is the best approach. If it is your user, you will need to wipe everything.

I would keep files and settings and see how that goes.

to get to reset,
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose reset this PC
make your choices and then PC will restart and reinstall win 10.

bevis999

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017

Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes the computer is connected to a home wireless network.
I have tried to restart the laptop multiple times with no success. The same thing happens over and over, just the welcome screen and when I click with the spacebar or mouse button the screen quickly flashes to the login but then goes back to the welcome screen
The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15.
I already tried to run the run the start up repair by changing boot order, but could not get the computer to boot from the USB.
It would flash like it was being accessed then just boot normally to the welcome screen.

Not sure if I want to try the other options you have listed. Anything else that you can suggest?

Colif

Win 11 Master
When switching on the power, my computer sometimes displays a message ‘f2 for setup’ and sometimes it does not. However, trial and error shows me that f2 works, even if there is no message, providing that I press f2 IMMEDIATELY.

To change the ORDER of the boot mode sequence I do the following
1. Restart the computer and press f2 while starting up. This enters the setup program.
2. Select the Boot tab and change to Legacy Boot, Secure Boot Off. After restarting, this shows the boot sequence and
3. the order can be changed using +/- keys.
I then change the boot order to
CD/DVD
USB drive
Hard drive

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533375/how-do-i-change-the-boot-order-sequence-in-a-dell-inspiron-15-using-windows-8/

bevis999

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017

Thank you for the reply. This did not work either. I changed the boot sequence and a different screen appeared but it did not access the USB as described in another post it just loaded to the typical windows screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
ON the login screen, where you just see 2 icons, click the power button and before pressing anything else, hold down shift and click restart button
if this worked, it should load advanced start up - try following my instructions for startup repair & reset

Did you try this yet? you said you couldn't get into safe mode but I never asked how you had tried to get there.

bevis999

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017

I have already tried this and it does not work. There is no restart button on the screen or on the computer just the power button,. I have pressed the power button then the shift key then the computer shuts down. I restart and it starts like normal no safe mode or other options show up.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Re: power button: Normally when you press the power button in the bottom right of screen, it offers choices of sleep, shutdown or restart - its this menu you hold shift and click restart in, i guess it doesn't on that screen you are getting.. was worth a try.

What did the different screen look like that appeared last time? easier if you could take screenshots. We need to boot off USB it seems but need to figure out why its ignoring your usb drive now.

Are you tapping the enter key as it boots as it might need you to hit enter to boot off USB - i know its like that on DVD with my PC

Solution