"Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart."

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I was using my computer (an HP 6305 Pro running Windows 10 Pro) when suddenly a bluescreen message saying "Your PC encountered a problem and needs to restart" popped up. It had some other information and some sort of countdown, and automatically restarted once the countdown finished.

I was able to retrieve the following information using the program Bluescreenview:

==================================================
Dump File : 021017-29875-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/10/2017 2:47:33 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000124
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : ffffb00a`7d599038
Parameter 3 : 00000000`b0800000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00060151
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+3627f
File Description : Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 10.0.14393.206 (rs1_release.160915-0644)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021017-29875-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 14393
Dump File Size : 347,956
Dump File Time : 2/10/2017 2:49:35 PM
==================================================

Also, here's a link to a ZIP file that includes the dmp file, msinfo32, and other relevant files related to the error. I'm sure that the information in this file is much more detailed than the little bit that Bluescreenview was able to dig up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rxtw6roct92bx8s/DESKTOP-AVBIS4C-Fri_02_10_2017_162028_08.zip?dl=0

I ran MemTest86 for over 24 hours (11 passes) to test my RAM, and never got any errors.

I then ran Prime95 to check my CPU, and also got no errors.

Furmark (to test my GPU), ditto.

I ran the long test of the Western Digital Data Lifeguard program, and likewise got no errors. I could run CHKDSK, but I doubt I'd get any errors (I ran it not long ago, and my hard drive is very new).

At first, I thought that the issue may have been caused by PowerChute (a program that monitors my Uninterruptible power Supply), so I restored my computer to its last backup from before I installed powerChute, using a Macrium system image backup. However, after further research, it is my understanding that this type of error is usually caused by faulty hardware, drivers, BIOS, etc, and that merely restoring Windows to a former version probably did nothing to fix it.

Interestingly, from what I've read online, this particular problem commonly occurs while a person is using Google Chrome. I happened to be using Opera browser (which is based off of the Chromium engine, so it is extremely similar to Chrome, to the point that it can use Chrome plugins) at the time that the error occurred.

If it is at all possible, I would like to know as close to possible exactly what the root of my problem is, so that I can fix it with a minimum of risk. I don't want to risk getting this error again.

Update the BIOS in the BIOS. If the mobo supports it.

This crash can also be caused by overclocking or the CPU is overheating

Disable AMD overdrive. This is a known cause of crashes

I would uninstall Bitdefender. It's a known cause of crashes and can cause this crash.

Then use their removal tool to remove the rest of it

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

By "update the BIOS in the BIOS", do you mean to update it from within the BIOS itself, rather than from within Windows? If so, how would I go about doing that? And if it is not possible to do it on my computer, should I do it by downloading the latest version and installing it in Windows?

I'm wary of updating the BIOS, as I'm afraid that something could go wrong and make my computer unusable. I need to know if it's safe to do, and if so, the safest way to go about it. Also, would I need to clear the CMOS afterwards?

System Information says that the version of BIOS that I have on my computer is Hewlett-Packard K06 v02.04, 9/26/2012.

From what I can tell, the latest version of the BIOS for my computer is the one located on the page linked to below:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5311951&swItemId=vc_177411_1&swEnvOid=4192

This crash can also be caused by overclocking or the CPU is overheating

Disable AMD overdrive. This is a known cause of crashes
How to disable AMD overdrive?

I would uninstall Bitdefender. It's a known cause of crashes and can cause this crash.

Then use their removal tool to remove the rest of it

I'd rather hold off on doing that unless I am certain that it is a danger to my system. I paid for a year's subscription, and other that using a lot of my system resources, it seems to be a great antivirus program.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

Do you mean to disable it when updating the BIOS?

Also, how risky is updating the BIOS? And should I clear the CMOS afterwards?

Well the crash youre getting can be caused by an outdated bios.

If its not up to date. It can be risky. But if this is causing the crash if you dont update it you'll keep getting the crash

And yup disable BD before you update the BIOS. It may screw something up. It may clear the bios after. I dont know. Like I said I've never had an HP.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

I see. I think I'll try updating the BIOS later. I have some processes running right now, so I'll have to wait. I'll report back later.

Astralv

Distinguished
One blue screen and you went through all that trouble to chaise it? It just one blue screen. It does not mean anything. I get them on and off on all 4 builds I am using. This is something to get used to with Windows 10. I would not update BIOS if it is HP. Go look at HP site if they offer BIOS but I doubt this is what the reason is. Did you install any new hardware or software?

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

Regarding new hardware or software, I had recently bought an uninterruptible power supply which comes with a software program called PowerChute (which allows you to monitor the UPS through the computer, as well as allow the UPS to send a signal to the computer to shut down if the power has been out for too long. At first, I suspected that PowerChute may have been the cause of the problem, so I reverted to a previous version of Windows from before I installed PowerChute (I used a Macrium system image to do this). I haven't had the problem since, but that isn't necessarily proof that PowerChute was the culprit.

Another thing that may or may not be related to the error is that on the day that the error happened, I had previously (although not at the time of the crash) used VSDC Free Video Recorder to record a video of a large number of GIFs (all of which have large files sizes) spread across my desktop (to create a sort of video collage of them). The computer acted rather sluggish when I did that, but didn't crash until hours later (when I was just browsing the Internet). Is it possible that I accidentally overclocked my system, resulting in the error later that day?

After restoring my system via Macrium, I had first decided to just wait and hope the error didn't return (and so far it hasn't). But then I started reading about the error I had gotten, and found that it can be caused by a serious hardware or driver problems (such as a failing CPU) that could cause a system failure further down the line. So, since then, I've been trying to find a way to make sure the problem is fixed. I've run stress tests on my CPU, GPU, and RAM (none of which found any problems) and scanned my hard drive (which is practically brand new anyway) and also found no problems. So, I have been mostly looking for possible driver, software, or BIOS issues since then.

I'm conflicted; on the one hand, I don't want to do anything drastic and risk messing my system up, but on the other hand, I don't want to risk messing my system up by negligence. I'm caught between the proverbial rock and hard place.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, System Information says that the version of BIOS that I have on my computer is "Hewlett-Packard K06 v02.04, 9/26/2012", and from what I can tell, the latest version of the BIOS for my computer is the one located on the page linked to below:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5311951&swItemId=vc_177411_1&swEnvOid=4192

Do you think it's safer at this point for me to wait and see what happens (in the hopes that the error was a one-off or has been fixed), or to update my BIOS? I'm nervous about both options.

Astralv

Distinguished
I would wait for it to get worse. If it single random BSOD, it is not that serious. If it happens once in 3 months, I would not fix it. If you see it more than once a month, it worth to investigate. With constant Windows updates, there all kinds of issues that appear and then disappear. Wait few updates and see what happens. I updated my BIOS many times, but my computers self built, I would be more cautious on factory computer. In general it is not that dangerous, but there is a risk.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

I think I'll probably just wait and see what happens then.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Some news: I think I may have just discovered something relevant. Opera browser (which the DMP file shows to have been involved in the crash) was set to use hardware acceleration. Opera's hardware acceleration involved Opera and AMD, both of which are logged as having been involved in the error. Therefore,it stands to reason that this may have been what caused the problem. I have hardware acceleration in Opera disabled now. I've also disabled it in Chrome.

Does anyone here think that this may have been related to my problem?