No display to TV after Windows logo boot screen

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Hey all, looking to see if anyone has any advice on an issue using my TV as a display.

I have a GTX 1060 and it works fine when connected to my monitor (DVI connection). When I connect it to my 55" TV using HDMI the display drops off just after you can see the Windows boot logo, so essentially just when you get to the login screen.

I have connected the PC to 2 other TVs in my house (24" and a 42") and the display works fine, auto detects the TVs and sets the resolution to 1920x1080 by default so they're OK.

If I boot the PC into Safe Mode then it works on my 55" TV, can fully use the desktop, even changed the resolution to 1920x1080 and it was all good.

I then powered off the PC, booted up on my monitor, turned the resolution down to 800x600 as I thought it must be some resolution issue that my 55" TV doesn't like, connected it to my TV but same again, still no display after the Windows logo.

Really have no idea where else to go here, all symptoms are pointing to some sort of limitation/issue with my 55" TV as the other 2 TV's work fine.

I can boot into the BIOS with no issues on my 55" TV and navigate that.

One thing I will note is; when I had the res turned down to 800x600 and connected it to my 55" TV, I noticed that as the Windows login screen was trying to display (as I briefly seen the background of the login screen) the TV flickered (as if it was trying to auto change the resolution, just a guess though) and then the display dropped again.

Looking to see if anyone has any ideas on what else I can check?

Using the latest Nvidia drivers, etc, also have Windows 10.

Thanks in advance.

the issue is either the HDMI port your using or the resolution. the TV is not recognizing he signal once the driver kicks in. this is why to loose the display right after the windows logo.

try changing the resolution on the monitor then hook it up to the TV. also you can try going into safe mode and changing the the resolution there and then reboot into normal windows.

you may also need to change the hertz of the out put to 59 instead if 60.
some HDMI ports do not like the signal a GPU outputs so try a different port to be sure.

TheWhiteZombie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Yeah I gave that a try as well but still the same. It's no biggie, would've been good to have played the odd game on the big TV, mainly horror games so I could freak out my girlfriend :D Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

Apr 10, 2022
Yeah I gave that a try as well but still the same. It's no biggie, would've been good to have played the odd game on the big TV, mainly horror games so I could freak out my girlfriend :D Thanks for the help though, much appreciated.

Im facing the same issue. The workaround that worked for me is that when i boot to bios and then exits and continue booting into os, it just works.

If ever i let a normal boot happen without stopping by in bios menu the system would boot show my account name, gets to desktop and bam!! Black screen.