Windows 10 won't boot after installing new hdd

TheguysMike

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
My build won't boot up properly after installing a brand new hdd. I have my os in my ssd and it worked fine until i installed a new hdd now it keeps saying there is no boot device available. When I go into BIOS and o check on the boot menu it would read my ssd and a windows boot manager I've tried to boot it from the ssd again but again it wasn't reading it and whenever I boot from the boot manager I would get an error saying INACCESSIBLE_BOOTDRIVE. I honestly have no idea what to do on solving this.

My build is:
MOBO: Asus z170-a
Cpu: i7 6700k
Gpu: 2x msi GeForce 960
Ram: Corsair Vengence 2x 4th
PS: Rosehill 700w
Ssd: 120gb Kingston
HDD(new one trying to install): 2tb seagate barracuda

Solution
I expect error code is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and you are getting it on the BSoD (blue screen of death).

If so, then it means that reference to disk C: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices registry key is invalid (dangling pointer). It kind of worked when there was no other disks, but when you added second storage device, situation changed: now Windows is unable to find disk C: at boot time, hence the BSoD.

You can fix reference to disk C: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices registry key using Emergency Boot Kit:
http://www.prime-expert.com/embootkit/features/fix-boot-problems-and-reassign-drive-letters/

stereovano

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I expect error code is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and you are getting it on the BSoD (blue screen of death).

If so, then it means that reference to disk C: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices registry key is invalid (dangling pointer). It kind of worked when there was no other disks, but when you added second storage device, situation changed: now Windows is unable to find disk C: at boot time, hence the BSoD.

You can fix reference to disk C: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices registry key using Emergency Boot Kit:
http://www.prime-expert.com/embootkit/features/fix-boot-problems-and-reassign-drive-letters/

Solution