Windows 10 Education Error

jameholme

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017
Attempting to install Windows 10 Education using a USB thumb drive. I am attempting this after when I was resetting my PC (keep my files) it lost power and would not boot. I have recovered my photos (all I cared about) and formatted the drive... attempted to install Windows but I always got "Windows cannot complete the installation. Restart the installation process to install Windows" or whatever it is... I've tried what seems like EVERYTHING. I've ran chkdsk, I've tried the whole MMC change password thing like some people suggest when getting this error. I've even bought a new HDD and tried installing it on there, same issue... I've used RUFUS to install ISO file, the MediaCreationTool, a Windows 7 USB DVD Media Tool and various other freewares... I've swapped SATA cables, ports, etc.. Reset BIOS and CMOS Battery... I've followed every troubleshooting guide I can find... I work in the IT realm and my coworker suggested repairing the MBR from CMD PROMPT and I followed whatever guide I could find on it but it did not seem to work :-( I just want to play some video games this weekend before I start my new job!!! Any help would be appreciated...

CPU: i5 4440 3.10GHz
RAM: 8gb
Memory Bus Speed: 1600MHz
HDD 1: WDC 1TB
HDD 2(New one) WDC 2TB
PC Model: Lenovo IdeaCentre K450

*It originally came with windows 8.1 I believe, upgraded to Windows 10 for free, tried doing a Reset (Keep Files) had a power issue, wouldn't boot, after attempting to reinstall with a Windows 10 Education key I got from school it would not install, same for new HDD.*

Please help... I feel so hopeless. Just want to toss it off my 3rd floor balcony at this point...

jameholme

Commendable
Feb 10, 2017

I haven't. I figured I would have to pay for it and I'm not really trying to spend more money on it.

I read somewhere that if my PC came with 8.1 that it won't let 10 install until 8.1 is updated all of the way and since the product key is embedded to the BIOS I think? I will try to install windows 8.1 and if that doesn't work I will try to install regular 10.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it

ladycompugeek

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
When installing, tell it you Do Not have a Key Code.  Then choose to install Windows 10 Home.  (I'd also blow away any previous partition on the hard drive when you get to that screen and make a new one.)

Once you get into Windows, put the correct key in when you Activate. (Mine was a Windows 10 Education key)