DVI to VGA

Solution

make_me_bad27

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014

MSI H110M Pro-D
It just says "DVI" in their website
See alexoiu's image for reference.
Mine is identical to what is labeled as DVI-D there, but it says DVI both on their website and my motherboard back plate.
Does DVI-D mean the same as DVI only?

bignastyid

Titan

Detailed specs show DVI-D so that DVI-I to VGA adapter will not work. You need an Active DVI-D to VGA converter/adapter which is going to cost a bit more that a passive DVI-I to VGA adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Pro-DVI-D-Active-Converter/dp/B00RWFT8NG
I prefer the adapters that require USB power as they tend to have better compatibility and have less problems than the non-powered models.

make_me_bad27

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014

I can't afford one of those right now, but I do have a dual monitor setup and I'm running on VGA to DVI-I and VGA to HDMI the HDMI adapter is giving me a hard time.
Technically I need this, right?

bignastyid

Titan

No, that will not work, it's a pretty much a worthless adapter. They were made to work on duplicator systems and will not work on a traditional DVI-D port. Passive adapters like that work with DVI-I because DVI-I carries an analog and digital signal where a DVI-D port is digital only so it requires an active converter chip to converter the digital signal to an analog signal which is why they cost more.

Solution