Solved

Trying to install windows 10 over ubuntu 16.10, gets error choosing drive

When I am trying to install windows 10 over Ubuntu, everything works fine until I get to choose where to install it. Then it says can't install to disk 0 partition 1 and ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu. I have read that I should set my drive to something else (forgot what) but the setting won't show in the BIOS as it has no advanced tab. Also, I am installing Windows 10 with USB and it only boots in legacy mode.
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about install windows ubuntu error choosing drive
  1. Enable AHCI delete all partitions in setup. So this doesnt have a UEFI BIOS?
  2. Paul NZ said:
    Enable AHCI delete all partitions in setup. So this doesnt have a UEFI BIOS?

I can't enable ahci, there is no option, and the usb only boots in legacy mode, but the pc has UEFI
  3. Put it on UEFI then if it's 64 bit and enable secureboot if you're installing 64 bit
  4. Paul NZ said:
    Put it on UEFI then if it's 64 bit and enable secureboot if you're installing 64 bit

when i do that the screen says
    image failed to verify with *access denied* press any key to continue
  5. 1. Are you trying to install 64 bit?

2. If you got to the setup screen did you delete all the partitions, before you tried to install windows?

3. If the install is on USB, where did it come from and what did you use to put the install on the flash drive?

If it's an ISO it's not bootable. If you used Rufus (if it's an ISO), change it to GPT partition, BEFORE you add the ISO
  6. Paul NZ said:
    1. Are you trying to install 64 bit?

2. If you got to the setup screen did you delete all the partitions, before you tried to install windows?

3. If the install is on USB, where did it come from and what did you use to put the install on the flash drive?

If it's an ISO it's not bootable. If you used Rufus (if it's an ISO), change it to GPT partition, BEFORE you add the ISO

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. from the Microsoft site, and i used unetbootin and gparted to put it on usb
  7. Use rufus. I bet it'll work

Change it to GPT partition add the ISO click start. Wait for it to finish. Reboot / change it to the flash drive. Boot from it. Get to setup screen

Delete all partitions, install Windows

You dont have to use gparted or whatever this will format a flash drive then extract whats in the ISO

It'll be the way you put it on the flash drive why it didnt work
  8. Paul NZ said:
    Use rufus. I bet it'll work

Change it to GPT partition add the ISO click start. Wait for it to finish. Reboot / change it to the flash drive. Boot from it. Get to setup screen

Delete all partitions, install Windows

You dont have to use gparted or whatever this will format a flash drive then extract whats in the ISO

It'll be the way you put it on the flash drive why it didnt work

i can't use rufus as i dont have access to a windows pc, is there any alternative hat i can use that'll work?
  9. Thats a good point. But it's one program I know that works. What are you using then?? A Mac? Or you still in Ubuntu?

If you're using Ubuntu
  10. Paul NZ said:
    Thats a good point. But it's one program I know that works. What are you using then?? A Mac? Or you still in Ubuntu?

If you're using Ubuntu

ubuntu. also, the startup disk creator is only for ubuntu iso files
  11. Do the above then in the link I posted
  12. Paul NZ said:
    Do the above then in the link I posted

that link is only for ubuntu iso files
  13. Whats the diff, it's still an ISO. Thats an example of what you do thats why. It didnt say it's for Ubuntu only
  14. Paul NZ said:
    Whats the diff, it's still an ISO. Thats an example of what you do thats why. It didnt say it's for Ubuntu only

When i open it, it says
    To try or install Ubuntu from a removable disk, it needs to be set up as a startup disk.
    It doesn't work with other iso files, they don't show up
  15. Sounds like a useless option then.

Try this

Download winUSB
  16. Paul NZ said:
    Sounds like a useless option then.

Try this

Download winUSB

I can't install that for some reason (I tried many different ways)
  17. Best answer
    Dont know then you'll have to find someone who's got Windows

Then use rufus
  18. Paul NZ said:

Then use rufus

If i were to use rufus, what would i format the drive to? fat32 or ntfs?
  19. It'll format it after you add the ISO. Leave it on FAT32
  20. Paul NZ said:
    It'll format it after you add the ISO. Leave it on FAT32

What will the file system be after I add the iso?
  21. FAT32 like I said, It extracts whats in the ISO to the flash drive
  22. Paul NZ said:
    FAT32 like I said, It extracts whats in the ISO to the flash drive

What I did was set the partition table of the usb to gpt and then formatted it to fat32. then I copied the files ack over, and it passed the drive select, but then i get an error. It says: Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation.
    It also now boots in uefi
  23. Find someone with windows and use rufus
  24. Paul NZ said:
    Find someone with windows and use rufus

Could I use Rufus in windows Xp Pro in Virtualbox (or an actual PC)? Because thats all I have for now
  25. Try it soon find out
  26. Paul NZ said:

Then use rufus

I used Rufus in a Windows seven virtual machine, and it worked. Thanks for constantly telling me to use Rufus as I should have done that in the first place
  27. No probs :)
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Ubuntu