Computer wont shut down or go to sleep

imbakinacake

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
Hello, I recently finished building my first gaming PC and now I am experiencing some rather unexpected problems.
As the title implies, my computer refuses to shut down or go to sleep. What I mean by this is that when I select for my computer to shut down, it finishes the process of shutting down completely only to immediately reboot itself. Same can be said for whenever I initiate sleep mode, the computer monitor goes blank, the fans stop and the LED's turn off then BOOM it wakes right back up.
I've exhausted so many different solutions trying to get this to work and nothing has helped.
I've even gone into my config and examined registries involving my sleep and wake cycle, only to be left with more questions. For example, when i went to see what woke my computer from sleep last it says "unknown".

A list of solutions tried
1. Disabling peripherals from waking computer and running power troubleshooter.
2. Unplugged all peripherals including monitor with no difference in sleep/shutdown cycle noted
3. Gone into BIOS and examined what can wake and turn on computer, made reccomended changes.
4. Booted in safe mode, computer still reset instead of shut down.
5. Disabled automatic boot upon catostrophic failure
6. Tried switching positive and negative switches for the wires that connect to MOBO
7. Changed registry number for shutdown from 0 to 1
8. Reformatting SSD
9. Updating to latest BIOS and drivers
10. Uninstalled software like intels rapid storage techonology, gigabytes on/off
11. reset CMOS

SIDE NOTES
- simply booting up the computer without logging into any accounts still results in a forced bootup/wakeup
- My friend who helps build computers for a living helped me build this, everything else is functioning properly

SPECS
GPU: GTX 1080 Gigabyte OC'd edition
CPU: i7-6700k
MOBO: Gigabyte G1 gaming 7
RAM: G.Skill Trident-Z 3400 (currently not OC'd, running at default)
SSD: 950 Pro M.2 Samsung Nvme 512 GB
PSU: EVGA 1000W super nova platinum
COOLING: Corsair Hydro series
CASE: Storm Stryker

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, not sure what to do at this point.

Solution
You did not mention your network card.

Try disabling it if built in (motherboard). Try disabling it if PCI-x and, failing that, remove the card.

Look in the Event Viewer logs. I would truly expect some log entry preceding/facilitating a WOL. Right click the log entry for more details.

Then consider the power switch itself. Maybe it is just not fully off and decides to "turn on again". Test that theory by using a power switch between the PC and wall outlet. Turn off that switch.

Ralston18

Titan
You did not mention your network card.

Try disabling it if built in (motherboard). Try disabling it if PCI-x and, failing that, remove the card.

Look in the Event Viewer logs. I would truly expect some log entry preceding/facilitating a WOL. Right click the log entry for more details.

Then consider the power switch itself. Maybe it is just not fully off and decides to "turn on again". Test that theory by using a power switch between the PC and wall outlet. Turn off that switch.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS