Windows 10 Black Screen on boot/After a few minutes

YaBoiStrom

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
So I browsed around here looking for a similar issue and found a couple, but unfortunately none of them helped me at all.

So a few days ago I was enjoying a couple of matches of Rainbow Six Seige, when suddenly my screen froze with some weird lines and crashed completely. I restarted my computer normally thinking it was just the game. It took me 5 tries to get the computer to restart, I was constantly getting a black screen, and one of the times it even loaded up and my HDD stopped responding. After those tries, it worked fine again for another hour and I continued to play Seige.

After that hour, the same crash happened. This time it eventually gave me a BSOD for WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and it took me more tries to restart my PC, and I even got a 'Windows failed to start correctly' screen. I restarted it again and it worked fine. At this point I just left it overnight and figured it was just the game.

The next day I started up the computer with no worries and started playing Civilization VI. After around an hour, my screen went black and I was forced to restart the PC. This time I constantly received a black screen on boot and could only use safe mode. 50% of the time I would get a black screen, and the other 50 windows would fail to load correctly.

I've tried everything I can think of to this point. I ran a check through Command Prompt and found no issue. I took out the RAM and the battery for the mobo and made sure both were fine. I then replaced the RAM with a pair of backup sticks and got the same result.

I then removed my GPU driver in safe mode, and was able to boot. But as soon as the PC automatically reinstalled the drivers it black screened again. I then disabled the driver and was able to use the computer out of safe mode for around 15 minutes before another crash.

My audio seemed to still work once the screen went black as I could still hear my friend who was trying to help me out.

My Specs roughly, can't fully remember some and can't access the PC properly:

PSU: Corsair 750w PSU
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 270x
CPU: Intel i7 4790k
Mobo: AsRock Z97 OC Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb

If anything else is required, please let me know. I need to fix this as I need my computer for financial purposes.

You should reset bios and remove any overclock. Start loading bios and disable C States and see if that helps. WHEA errors are usually CPU related but can also be outdated drivers and even a new BIOS can fix them. You may want to upgrade bios also.

YaBoiStrom

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Problem with that is I can't seem to do that in safe mode. I tried to update BIOS and it said something about the drivers not being present. I'll try again in the morning.

I reset BIOS earlier though, and have never overclocked.

YaBoiStrom

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
Disabled C States and updated BIOS. Same issue occurs. I did notice someone had the exact same issue as me and it seemed to occur after a direct X update. I actually launched a game with DX12 not long before these issues started occurring. Might be a coincidence though.

With the AMD Drivers installed for my GPU, I cannot reach the log in screen. But with them disabled I can log in and after about a minute I get a black screen. I noticed that when I get this black screen my keyboard turns off. Not sure why.

I've also noticed that with a Full Restart windows fails to load. But with a soft restart I get the black screen. Will continue to attempt things, but I'm running out of ideas.

*Edit* Windows Failure and black screen appear to be at random and not related to restarts.

pirx_the_pilot

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014

Just like you said on my thread, must be a driver issue. Check this thread on AMD forums - lost of people with the same problem like you and me, and it's been around for more than a year! There might be a solution there, I'm still looking for it. Considering to join the green side already...

YaBoiStrom

Commendable
Feb 12, 2017
The old nvidia card works fine. Either there's a fault with AMD drivers right now or the card isn't compatible with the latest DirectX drivers. I'm unsure. But for now I'll use this 8 year old Nvidia card.

Such a shame. Right before the release of for honor. I can barely churn out enough FPS for minecraft with this GPU.

Anyway, I would recommend switching to Nvidia. Never had a problem with them and always seem to hit issues with AMD.

Best of luck!