Will this build would be enough?

maximalpower

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
Hello,

Will this build be enough to play game on med-hig 60fps? Games like GTA, DOOM etc. a some lower spec games. Suggestions about this build would be great.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VvbQBP
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VvbQBP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor (£58.80 @ Alza)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte GA-B250M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£64.01 @ BT Shop)
Memory: *Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£57.78 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£83.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: *Asus Radeon RX 460 2GB Dual OC Video Card (£88.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: *Zalman ZM-T3 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£23.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: *Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£53.52 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (£83.97 @ PC World Business)
Total: £515.04

Also, wouldn't be there any bottleneck with CPU and GPU?

Thanks.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Well I would guess that you would be looking at more of a medium settings build as the CPU is kind of low end and the GPU is pretty low as well. I'm sure it will be a nice running computer, but for a gaming computer you will probably want an i5 and something closer to the RX480 or GTX1060. If you are willing to do low quality on the "pretty factor" of the games, you "could" be fine with that.

maximalpower

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017

Thanks for answering, newer games on medium around 60 fps would be great for me. Any way I will be playing on 900p monitor so there is no problem with that.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
Ok, well 900p will help, a little. Also you'll have an upgradeable platform in case at some point you need more performance. I wouldn't take anything besides money to upgrade to an i7 and a top of the line GPU at some point. Good luck and happy gaming.

Hi,
The bottleneck point will vary by the game, and can even switch in the same game.

Many MMO shooters use more CPU than other games due to processing the client data (some can do server-side processing) so require a higher MINIMUM than other games. Thus dropping GRAPHICS settings might not help below a certain point in terms of FPS.

In the end you can only adjust the game settings to balance the FPS and visuals.

I suggest you spend a little MORE MONEY though. You are at the point where another 20% would make a huge difference.

*I'll make a build and you can ignore it or not. I'll aim for roughly 600 to 650 pnds (including Windows).

**I would also wait for RYZEN and see if you can get a better CPU though they may not have any cheaper CPU options for a while. But, if you decide to wait to save a little more money it's not a bad idea anyway even if that doesn't pan out.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mTwwjc

(573 pnd cost, including Windows 10, DVD drive etc. pretty self-explanatory)

Okay, that's what you can build for only 60 pnds more. Mostly the graphics card.
a) the GTX1050Ti is about 35% faster than the RX-460.
- less difference in some games, more in others (AMD DX11 drivers use more of the CPU so having an AMD GPU with a weaker CPU can lose performance vs an NVidia GPU with the same CPU... hard to show since they use high-end CPU's to compare GPU's but it has been extensively tested. Modern DX11 games are tweaked better than in the past though)

b) the GTX1050Ti has 4GB of video memory. Having only 2GB is going to be a problem for some current games and going forward, even at this level of performance. It can cause major STUTTERING if you use up your video memory.

(I thought the i3-7100 would justify it's cost but no. Both are dual-core, hyperthreaded but the i3-7100 costs a lot more. My estimate is that the i3-7100 would help at most by about 10%.)

The HDD is a better idea for a lower budget build. I would however PARTITION it so the first partion is about 200GB. You can then CLONE the first partion later to a 250GB SSD (then recover the partition to use the entire HDD). The 2nd partition is where I suggest putting games.

So install STEAM to the default, C-drive location but create another folder on the 2nd partition (E-drive?) of the HDD.

Other:
- PSU is semi-modular to minimize cable clutter

Other:
- RYZEN?
I don't think you'll see anything cheaper for the same performance (combining CPU and AM4 motherboard) at this lower-end price point. The cheapest part so far appears to be an estimated $129USD for a 4-core RYZEN:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/02/12/amd-ryzen-biggest-leak-yet-amazing-benchmarks-and-prices-starting-at-just-129/#5fc535274bb7

Add that to a slightly more expensive motherboard and the price is obviously higher (not sure UK pricing) though having a good 4-core will get you a longer life out of the computer and prevent big loss of performance in CPU intensive games.

maximalpower

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
photonboy thanks for answering. I might consider to go for your build, but I will see in the future. However, both build my and your are great due to both are upgradable in the future.