PC shutdown after a moment or when booting up

neon4

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Hi,
I came across a weird problem today. Story time...

I was using my PC the regular way like I do everyday. Let some music on youtube on while I was cooking. Then the music suddenly stopped. I thought to myself that the mix probably finished and the Auto play function was off.
But when I returned to my room I found my PC completely shut down, as if there was a sudden blackout, but everything else was working... so what the hell, I turned the PC on again, turned my back to it and heard it.... WHOOM. Shut down.

It was then I knew that today was meant to be a bad day.

I tried turning it on several times, sometimes it got to Windows, sometimes it didn't. I tried entering BIOS, but that just froze up on me. Because the CPU fan was speeding up exponentially everytime I thought it was an overheating problem, but why so suddenly?

I took it all apart, cleaned it all and reapplied thermal paste. I have my CPU overclocked too so I reset all those settings in BIOS as fast as I could before it shut down. Still no change. When I let it cool down it usually took longer for it to shut down, I used this strategy to slowly find out what was going on. Nothing out of the ordinary in HW Monitor, nothing.

I tried booting up in safe mode, no change. So my last chance was to let it cool down and use the operating system recovery and hope for the best.

For some odd reason it seems it fixed the issue. I ran several stability tests in AIDA and wPrime and everything's fine. Even overclocked the CPU again and it's all like it used to be.

Just to be sure, I also ran virus scan and it found a trojan in my trash bin, so deleted it.

My question is. Has anyone of you come across something similar? What is the issue here? A virus? Dying hardware? Something else?

I want to be sure what caused the problem in order not to repeat anything that made it happen.

neon4

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
CPU: Phenom II X6 1090t @ 3,9Ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz
GPU: R9 390
MOBO: AsRock Extreme 3 990FX
PSU: Fortron Aurum 600W 80+ Gold
HDD: WD Red 3TB
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB <- System

Forgot to mention it in the original post, sorry.

I thought it might have been a PSU too. But I wanted to try anything possible before going to separate HW testing. Also faulty PSU wouldn't explain why CPU fans were running on full. Or would it? Maybe the PSU is slowly dying anyway, I had my doubts about it before.

neon4

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013

Thank you for your answer.

I know it might be either CPU or PSU, but I don't know why system recovery fixed it.

I'm using Nepton 240M as the CPU cooler by the way