Kernel Power (41)? Operating System Not Found? Are they related?

semihan564

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
TL;DR - Desktop more than occasionally shuts down during long periods of idle time and says that an operating system is not found. But boots properly when I power cycle my rig after message. But when I check event logger the only critical event was Kernel Power (41) task 63. I was thinking the problem might be from my psu, my motherboard, and/or even my boot drive; but I have no idea where to start! Some advice or a point in the right direction would be amazing. Thanks!

Background - About 2 months ago I decided reinstall windows 10 and start out from scratch again because I'm lazy and reinstalling all my programs was easier than going through and cleaning out what I currently had. However, since then my rig has had a couple of problems.
1. Games would freeze but audio would continue (GPU Driver problem, fixed)
2. Rig would crash when idle for long periods of time (like when I'm at school or during the night) and a message would pop up saying that "operating system not found". But would boot up perfectly fine after I turn it off and back on.*
3. Event Logger shows a critical level event under Kernel-Power (41) task 63.

* I originally checked the BIOS after this happened the first time, looking at the BIOS boot sequence my boot drive wasn't recognized so I cracked open my rig and clean off some dust and made sure all the cable were secure and rebooted and it worked. Since then I realized that I only have to power cycle it to get it to boot up properly.

CPU; i5-4670K @ 3.40 GHz
GPU: Geforce GTX 970 FTW
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z87-HD3
RAM: G. Skill 8gb
PSU: Corsair CX750m
Boot Drive: Samsung EVO 840 120gb
Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB

Any help or advice would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

Solution
I originally checked the BIOS after this happened the first time, looking at the BIOS boot sequence my boot drive wasn't recognized
Your SSD may have problem.
1) Check the SSD's S.M.A.R.T. with the Magician software, also make sure you don't fill up the SSD too, because 120 GB is not than big.
2) Run the system file check (SFC) to see the OS is fine or not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93
3) Go into the BIOS hardware monitor section to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V, you want to see those voltages should be within +/- 5%, that means your PSU is good, otherwise you will need the new PSU.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you missed 1 part of PC... what motherboard do you have?

event 41 just means PC restarted and windows isn't sure why. It is created every time PC restarts unintentionally.

Did you install motherboard drivers after fresh install? It is likely the problems are caused by drivers. Updating BIOS might help as well.

What power settings are you running? The PC might be set to shutdown after a certain amount of idle, I normally set it to never turn off PC or monitor

one thing that might also help is run start up repair
go to settings/update & security/recovery/advanced start up - click the restart PC now button
this loads advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

I originally checked the BIOS after this happened the first time, looking at the BIOS boot sequence my boot drive wasn't recognized
Your SSD may have problem.
1) Check the SSD's S.M.A.R.T. with the Magician software, also make sure you don't fill up the SSD too, because 120 GB is not than big.
2) Run the system file check (SFC) to see the OS is fine or not. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93
3) Go into the BIOS hardware monitor section to check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V, you want to see those voltages should be within +/- 5%, that means your PSU is good, otherwise you will need the new PSU.

Solution