I can't select 1440P 60hz only 30hz on 4K 60hz TV

Arron98

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
I have a 4K 60hz TV which is HDMI 2.0 and my PC has a MSI R9 390 in it which has HDMI 1.4 which as far as I'm aware allows 4K 30hz or 1440P @ 60hz but when I go to select 1440P it won't allow me to select 60hz unless I select 1080P, I have tried a HDMI 1.4 cable and a HDMI 2.0 cable but the issue still persists. Anyone got any advice to save me buying a Display port to HDMI 2.0 adapter? Thanks.

Solution
Try starting at 45 and work your way up. could be your TV's HDMI is just testy. Also make sure you HDMI cable supports HDMI 2.0 or higher. open Radeon Additional Settings and make sure the color depth is set to 8 bpc. If that doesn't help, use CRU 1.3 to edit the extension block and try unchecking "Override maximum TMDS clock" in the HDMI support data block. Then run restart.exe and check if 60 Hz is available.
You need a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter. Club 3D makes a reliable and well reviewed one. I used it on my on 390 for the same thing.

I'd be surprised if your 4k TV supports 1440p at all. It probably doesn't have any support for it what-so-ever. 4k or 1080p are usually the only options for 4k TVs.

Your R9390 only supports Hmdi 1.4 which limites you to 30 at 4k. You may can tweak custom settings to get that up a bit but 60fps is out of reach in HDMI 1.4. Try a custom setting of 4k at 45. Also you need to custom set 1440p 60. Here is a utility to set the custom settings.
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU
Screen-Shot-2015-05-20-at-8.28.06-AM.png

Arron98

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
4K 60hz isn't really a must for me as my 390 won't be able to run games at that resolution so all i want is 1440p 60hz, I will try that custom resolution software whenever I get home from work and I'll let you know how it goes as its £30 for that Club3D DP to HDMI adapter which I'd rather not buy right away. Thanks for the fast response.

... I think you should strongly reconsider running a monitor at a non-native resolution. Run it at 4k 60hz - 30hz is unusable and has absolutely nothing to do with gaming. Its like using your mouse in a muddy strobe light - unusable.

1440p is not supported by the TV - using some kind of program to force it could cause problems. It will certainly cost you more in the long run than a $30 adapter.

You can run games at a lower resolution, that is fine - but your TV needs to be running at a native resolution.

Actually the Tv does support the 1440p its the video card that doesn't natively. The utility only makes a custom 1440p 60hz setting for the video card. The bandwidth is there as its been testing 1080p 165hz in HDMI 1.4 which is near a 1440p 82hz setting. I would only suggest 1440p 60hz tho.

The r9 390 supports 1440p natively... if you can even call a GPU output "native", it just needs a DP cable to do it.
How do you know what model TV OP has? Can you link it? I just double checked and he doesn't have the make or model listed - how can you know 1440p is a native resoluton? it isn't for the vast majority of 4k TVs.

He said Hmdi 2.0 thus reasonable to assumed but you assumed first it didn't. Plus to my credit he did ask about the resolution so possible he seen the option on the tv.
1440p is not supported by the TV

Bleh a TV great for gaming? Not in my house - that is for console peasants.

Monitors only. Chroma subsampling is the pits.

Arron98

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
To clear things up its not my TV that isn't running the resolution as its running it fine, my issue was that in windows when I select1440p and went and checked the refresh rate "hz" it only let me select 30hz when HDMI 1.4 allows 1440P @ 60hz and 4k @ 30hz according to its specs so that is the issue. The TV itself runs any resolution i through at it and it upscales from there.

Try starting at 45 and work your way up. could be your TV's HDMI is just testy. Also make sure you HDMI cable supports HDMI 2.0 or higher. open Radeon Additional Settings and make sure the color depth is set to 8 bpc. If that doesn't help, use CRU 1.3 to edit the extension block and try unchecking "Override maximum TMDS clock" in the HDMI support data block. Then run restart.exe and check if 60 Hz is available.

Solution