First Time Builder M.2 Question?

newbietube

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Hello,

I am building a new machine and I have a question. I'd like to have two M.2 drives in the build.

I am going with the Asus STRIX Z270G Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, if I use two M.2 drives with this motherboard, will there be any performance or limiting issues?

I have heard that if you go with two M.2's on certain motherboards, the performance of the drives will drop.

Thank you in advance for your help.

t53186

Distinguished
Doubt that you would see any effect on the speed of the drives. You would need to have a very intensive demand for data from both drives simultaneously to even make them work to full potential.

Sean_34

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
The PCIe slots are allocated a certain amount of bandwidth so I don't know why you'd see a lag in performance for having two. But, as I type this, i suppose NVMe software is still being debugged. If you were to have any problems, I'm sure you'd see updates that will fix it in the future. That's all a part of 1st adopters.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I think i've read that you'll only see hardware throttling is if heat rises after transfer of large files, like hundreds of gigs at one time.

I think you'll be okay.

newbietube

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017

Thank you!