Registering and Installing Windows 10 on a new system?

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
I'm building a fresh brand new PC for a friend. when I built my current PC, I used the windows download tool to make an install usb drive on my old PC, and installed that on the new one, so I guess my license copied over.. But I guess he is going to need a fresh install from scratch and his own license and all?

So, would I download it from here?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

and then he would be able to register & pay for his copy when it's done installing? Or is there somewhere else where I can download a "fresh" copy of windows to install on an all new system?

I saw that I can buy an install usb drive, but I just thought why bother buying a separate thumb drive if already have a spare and I can just download it, it will be faster and easier. Just want to make sure he can have his own real registered copy and all, and not somehow piggybacking off of mine, if that can even happen.

Solution
He will need a Microsoft account and would register his copy of 10 while logged on to Microsoft from the new computer you are building for him. So yes, download from the link you have, create a USB drive with the tools, Load the software on the new PC, let your friend customize with his name and Microsoft account

t53186

Distinguished
He will need a Microsoft account and would register his copy of 10 while logged on to Microsoft from the new computer you are building for him. So yes, download from the link you have, create a USB drive with the tools, Load the software on the new PC, let your friend customize with his name and Microsoft account

Solution

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
So I set everything up and it's working great .. As I was installing windows it demanded that I make one user account and then I finished the installation and everything was working fine. But, is there a way to install windows so it will act like he just bought a new PC off the shelf? like when he turns it on it will ask him to set up his own account and everything?

If I just reinstall, could I just shut down when it gets to the point where it asks for a user name, and then when I give him the PC he can finish the setup himself? Won't he still need the USB installer plugged in at that point?

t53186

Distinguished

If you do a reset pc and remove everything it will take it back to the point of setup a new user for the first time
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options