Can anyone tell from the PHOTO if I have BENT PINS in CPU socket?

David19800

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Hi to all.
I built a system around an Asus X99-A II last weekend and initially I thought that everything was fine, but during stress tests I had "Hardware failure" messages. After I updated the firmware from 1201 to 1401, the motherboard failed to see all my 8 modules of RAM and only saw 6.

I won't bother you with details but during the installation of CPU (using the Asus Installation tool, which by the way I will never use again) the processor fell from the plastic frame of the "tool" into the socket from a height around 1 cm.
After a lot of troubleshooting for my problem (I could analyze them if it matters) I thought of that "fall" and removed the cooler and the CPU to check the pins.

At first everything seemed OK to my (untrained) eye. But closer examination of the left area (where the CPU fell into the socket) made me wonder for a few pins that might be bent.

Can you tell from this photo if I have bent pins?

20170214_202609.jpg

I thought that the 5-6 pins left of the "groove" (red arrow) and the 6 small square holes might be bent.

20170214_20260ar.jpg

The thing is that I was hasty and a tamper a little with them and now the system is in boot loop. 8-(
Here how it is now.

20170214_213111fin.jpg

Can you tell if I had any bent pins to begin with?
And if I caused more damage by myself?

Thanks,,,

Dogeisilluminati

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
They appear to be somewhat bent, but I cannot say for sure. Do you have a warranty for the mobo? I would suggest replacing it if it is giving you such problems. Things like this are quite tedious to try and fix yourself, but that's just my perspective.

David19800

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

It is/was brand new.
I might end up doing that, but I was trying to avoid it.
Thanks.