Monitor no longer recognizes HDMI signal from PC but works fine with HDMI from XBONE?

LegitDewBe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Hello community of tomshardware,

I have an interestingly random tech support question concerning the signal output to one of my monitors and its recent failure. This one has been bugging me for a while; I have been all over the interwebz and tried everything I can think of to no avail. I come to you in desperation!

Problem
Asus VS247H-P no longer receives HDMI signal from my PC, neither from the dedicated GPU or from the onboard GPU. It will also not accept any signal from my surface pro. But... it receives HDMI signal with no problems from my XBONE.

System Info:

• Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB 1Ghz
    Mobo: MSI Gaming Z97
    CPU: Intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz Devil's Canyon
    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    Hard Drives: 500GB Samsung Pro 850, 250GB Samsung Evo 850, 2TB WD Caviar Blue
    OS: Windows 10 (64-bit) Build 1607 (OS Build 14393.693)
    Monitors: Asus VG248QE 24" 144hz, Two Asus VS247H-P 24" 60hz & 37" Vizio TV E370VL
    AMD Driver: Crimson ReLive 16.12.2

More information than needed here...
Monitor Configuration is as follows.
(Note: #'s are fictional for explanation's sake and do not correlate to the actual # position assigned by the OS in the display settings)

[Monitor1] [Monitor2] [Monitor3] [Monitor4]

Where
[Monitor 1] *Problem Monitor = 24" VS247H-P supplied via HDMI cable from HDMI Output on the Radeon R9 290.

[Monitor 2] *Main Display = 24" VG248QE supplied via DVI capable of 144hz via the primary DVI output on the R9 290.

[Monitor 3] = 24" VS247H-P supplied via DVI cable from the secondary DVI output on the R9 290.

[Monitor 4] = 37" Vizio E370VL supplied via HDMI cable from the onboard HDMI on the Mobo (Integrated GPU enabled in BIOS)

Symptoms:
Sunday January 26th, 2017:
All systems operational, all 4 monitors working flawlessly, regular system use, no updates or new software installations that I was aware of and no changes made to the hardware (i.e. no cables were connected or disconnected).

Monday January 27th, 2017:
Turn on computer, for some reason my main display had been changed from the VG248 144hz to the 37" TV on my far right. The VS247H-P was never "woke up" by the PC. (i.e. it just remained in standby and never received signal from the PC via HDMI). It's been like that ever since.

To be clear here, the monitor is not completely dead... It just will not receive any signal from my PC, neither from the onboard graphics HDMI output or from the HDMI output on the R9. And it will not receive any signal from a Surface Pro 4. It does receive signal perfectly fine from the XBONE via the same HDMI cable.

Things I have tried that have not worked

• Switching HDMI cables (no effect)

Switching power cable for the monitor and also the power location, moved from 6-way to direct wall plug (no effect)

Switching from HDMI Port 1 to HDMI Port 2 on the Monitor (no effect)

Switching HDMI cables of the E370VL (onboard) and the problem monitor R9 290. (E370VL received signal from the R9 and the mobo with no problems, whereas the problem monitor does not receive signal either way.)

Supply HDMI signal to the problem monitor with a different device (XBONE) (Problem monitor works fine...which doesn't make any sense to me)

Attempt only single monitor boot with the problem monitor via HDMI on the R9 and again via onboard HDMI on the Mobo (no effect)

System Restore - Conducted on Wed Feb 1st. The earliest it would let me go back was 1/27/2017 which was the day the problem started to happen and the description listed for the restore point was "DirectX"

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Attempt connection to HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the problem monitor via HDMI to mini display port adapter from Surface Pro 4. (No detection)

Any assistance, recommendations or insight you could provide to this problem would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long description, I was just trying to be as detailed as possible.

Thank You

LegitDewBe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

Hello Paul NZ, thanks for the quick response. I tried what you have recommended and the monitor will not receive signal from the PC. I tried another monitor with the GPU removed and onboard GPU only and that worked fine.

There doesn't seem to be a problem with the video output from my PC or from my surface pro, seeing as they can output to other monitors with no problem via the same HDMI. It's more of a problem with the monitor not responding or receiving any signal from any PC that I try to test with it.

Usually that would mean that the monitor is dead, but in this case it works perfectly fine with the xbone sending HDMI signal to it, just not from any PC. I can try it with the Macbook Pro via mini display port to HDMI adapter and report my findings.