Getting a first IT job with minimal experience?

scrape

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
I'm looking at entry-level jobs on indeed.com. Some of the jobs look like a good fit: some postings that say stuff like "just passed your A+? start your career with us and let us turn you into a seasoned pro!". Problem is some of these jobs will have well over 100 applicants (sometimes 200), and I'm getting really tired of sitting on my computer applying for these jobs.

Then there are entry-level jobs that expect you to be a wiz on Active Directory, VoIP, and VPN. I'd like a job that will get my foot in the door and let me learn on the job and study on the side.

Can anyone give me any guidance on job searching, when a lot of the jobs that look like a good fit have soooooo many applicants (and other entry-level jobs want knowledge in stuff I haven't studied yet)?

Solution
Some good advise already by others.

If you have A+ start reading and studying for Network+ which will grow your knowledge base.
The big key is to show that you are driven and trainable. Add things to your resume like projects or difficult things you had to troubleshoot.
There are so many techs now who cramed and passed the test/cert but dont actually understand the concepts. So when it comes time to troubleshoot say a networking problem they just randomly try 30 different things becuase they dont understand enough to do process of elimination or make a flowchart.

I understand the challanges of even getting an interview, and companies somehow expecting to find 20 year vetern applicants for thier entry level job.

Job searching (in...

osisteve

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
It's not just about tech skills. Try to focus on your other skills too, like communication skills and positive attitude. I have been in situations where I recommended people who didn't have as much skill as the other applicant, but who were much nicer people. At your level, they are also looking for people who are "trainable" and it's sometimes harder to train people who think they know everything or have a crappy attitude.

The only way to have a better idea as to what you want is to go on interviews. How many interviews have you been to? Before you go on an interview, you'll have to research/learn about the business, to ask them questions. Only then will you start to get an understanding of what's out there and what you'll want to do with your career. Interviews aren't always about the company interviewing you, it's about you interviewing them to see if job is a right fit for you.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Apply anyway. They are never expecting someone to meet all their criteria. Some criteria are obviously dumb to have at entry level like 2 years of experience. You don't become a wiz until you begin working at it professionally. There are only a small percent of people that look into a specialized subject so carefully they meet some of these requirements at entry level.
There are 2 things I noticed in applying for jobs. First is a professional looking resume with limited spelling errors and mentioning the required qualifications from the job posting. Second is luck. Most HR scrim off maybe 100 resume and reduce it down to 10 who they call in for an interview. If you hesitate on applying your resume will often not be seen. Sending a resume itself doesn't cost you anything and it's not like most people even notice the names on a first read of resumes. In my experience it takes about 100 resumes or applications to get an interview. Out of interviews 1 in 10 leads to a job.
Try applying for jobs off craigslist. With job websites, the company may just be collecting applicants for when they have an open position. One's off craigslist are usually looking to fill a position immediately.

Some good advise already by others.

If you have A+ start reading and studying for Network+ which will grow your knowledge base.
The big key is to show that you are driven and trainable. Add things to your resume like projects or difficult things you had to troubleshoot.
There are so many techs now who cramed and passed the test/cert but dont actually understand the concepts. So when it comes time to troubleshoot say a networking problem they just randomly try 30 different things becuase they dont understand enough to do process of elimination or make a flowchart.

I understand the challanges of even getting an interview, and companies somehow expecting to find 20 year vetern applicants for thier entry level job.

Job searching (in resume and in application) is all about selling your seif, why are you worth hiring. If you lake experience then you need to show what else you can bring to the table. Actions speak louder then words and the manager interviewing you is not just going to take your work for it. Thus dont just say "i learn quickly", be ready with examples to back it up.
You also have to understand that you may have to work your way into that IT job, getting a job with the company that you are qualified (or a little over qualified for) will get your foot in the door.

Solution

Welcome to the 'New' World of employment. Your not the only one, but us veterans also have issues in similar reasons.

Company's are NOT offering "on the job" training, they are expecting YOU on YOUR own time and YOUR own money to pay for the training THEY demand (alot of You VS Them going on now). You need to get your own Comptia A+ cert, then move onto other Certs like Network, Security, etc. to show 'you know something' before they will bring you on board to be doing a 'entry level'. Yes if you passed your A+ Cert you SHOULD KNOW Active Directory, VoIP, and VPN because you completed the classwork involving it.

Your post seems to indicate you want mentoring; that is someone to 'teach you' as you do it, you need to either volunteer (unpaid of course) on campus (again expecting you to be a current student), local churches, community centers, or poor (high crime) school your time to assist and learn 'some' of the ropes from someone there that takes care of the IT. Even if you did this for 'several years' companies won't hire you without BOTH Certifications AND Degrees.

As I was told in several seminars and 'job coaches'; if you can't prove your worth being paid for, why should they hire you ? So your job (and it is a job) is make yourself 'worth' something that the company needs and willing to pay for.