Can you delete everything on the pc without getting rid of the OS.

Solution
1) *It's highly recommended to make a backup IMAGE to a secondary drive (USB or local) if you can do so. If you screw up anything you can RESTORE the backup image.

If you have a WD drive you can go to the Western Digital site and find the Free Acronis True Image program. For Seagate the same program is called "Seagate Discwizard". You can also use the Windows backup utility but I prefer the above programs. (if you use the above programs set the COMPRESSION level to the second highest).

Roughly estimate HALF to 2/3rds the compression of the current C-drive capacity but it varies a lot.

2) Still confused if Windows 8 was pre-installed or not.
If so, there should be a BACKUP IMAGE in a hidden partition. If you run this as said from...

USAFRet

Titan

Actually, no.
No matter what you delete, uninstall, or otherwise cleanse...if you try to leave the OS, there is always some bit of you leftover.

Now...
What OS is this, and what are you actually trying to do?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
with win 10 you can do this now. like a mobile OS, they have added a reset feature that will put the OS back with a fresh install and remove everything. you can get to it by following this tutorial http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

also a good thing to do with a new prebuilt pc as it will remove all the bloatware they like to install.

second way to do it is to use the media creation tool to "upgrade this pc" when given the option, select "remove everything" and it will do a fresh install as well.

back up any important data as both of these methods will delete everything except for core windows files. your libraries and my documents contents will be deleted!!

Yes, you can if->

Many pre-built computers have a backup IMAGE of the OS. If you start the computer and press the appropriate F-Key (such as F8 but it varies) then follow the instructions it will wipe out everything when it restores the backup.

You are then left with:
a) backup IMAGE (on hidden partition)
b) Windows (might be some junk software to get rid of such as Candy Crush games or whatever)

Then you'll want to ensure Microsoft Updates is working, install other programs etc.

(you need to copy any files, passwords etc before doing this)

To be clear, the W10 is a slightly different thing but if the PC has a hidden Image (I think all laptop do) you can restore the Image and wipe out whatever is currently installed.

The restore backup Image options has been around for many years.

You're talking about personal files right?... they should be in the user name folder or Profile folder located in:
C:\Users > your user name > Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, etc. and also the Downloads folder. From the Desktop folder you can delete shortcuts you don't want or Uninstall their programs from the Control Panel > Programs and Features > select the program and with right click of from the column header click Uninstall. If you also want to remove all installed programs, repeat this with every program.

That doesn't really answer his question though. Simply uninstalling programs and deleting files isn't the same as a clean install. He could still have corrupted files, viruses and other crap lurking on the computer.

The best way is to either do a clean install, or restore the backup Image (if a backup Image exists).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
back-up image is fine if it exists but that will put back the bloatware that came with the pc. if he wants that, then great idea. but for a true clean copy, the reset option is the best way to go.

i am assuming win 10 here, since he posted in the win 10 forum. if not win 10, then of course reset is not an option :)

Yeah I agree with that... but OP still hasn't answered to say exactly what he wants, and I supposed if he wanted to format he didn't have to ask about deleting files.

Ryan7251

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Ok to make things as clear as i can let me explain what is going on first off this is windows 8.1 I think so that kind of sucks anyway....You see i have had this pc for like 3 years and i just upgraded my gpu and mobo with a new CPU and for the past 3 years is been a family computer however they got a new pc and said i could upgrade the old one if i wanted so i did issue being now the old pc still has a bunch of files and stuff i don't care about and i feel it would be better to just get rid of all the files and other things to make the pc feel more new truth be told i do know that it will never be truly new do to not having a new hard drive and therefore may have things on it that slow it down however my guess is if i could get rid of everything but the OS then it may run kind of faster and at the very least it will look nicer.

USAFRet

Titan

Reinstall the OS, wiping all existing partitions as you do so.

Do a clean install of Windows 8.1.

Ryan7251

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Oh should have been clear i kind of lost my disk/key for my system that is why i wanted to keep the OS files sorry i forgot that part :/
Like i said it's a 3 year old system and we moved....may have been thrown away or something.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can get the key off the install before doing the format. easy enough. just write it down so you don't have to get a new one. i use magic jelly bean for it. will seek out and display all kinds of keys from the system including office if you have that installed.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

if you need the install dvd, you can still download it from MS with the key you just recovered. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

no more excuses now :p get the key, install disk and blow that sucker away and enjoy your fresh install of win 8.1

You can create a new installation by downloading the ISO from Microsoft, but nobody can help you find the key,

Ryan7251

Honorable
Jul 21, 2013
Oh ok neat so i'm going to need a USB with nothing on it for the ISO.....man part of me is really worried to use that Magic Jellybean program i mean it would suck if it give me a bad key do to a error or something.

It is very important to record the serial number exactly as Magic Jelly Bean provides it to you. One digit error on your part renders the entire product code useless.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right, they key is stored in the registry and you can get it yourself but jellybean simply retrieves it for you. it is unable to give you a wrong key since all it does is read the registry and show you what it found.

you can get it yourself if you wish by following this tutorial http://www.isunshare.com/product-key-finder/find-product-key-for-windows-8-or-8.1.html

all does the same thing as jellybean. reads the key from the registry and displays it for you.

1) *It's highly recommended to make a backup IMAGE to a secondary drive (USB or local) if you can do so. If you screw up anything you can RESTORE the backup image.

If you have a WD drive you can go to the Western Digital site and find the Free Acronis True Image program. For Seagate the same program is called "Seagate Discwizard". You can also use the Windows backup utility but I prefer the above programs. (if you use the above programs set the COMPRESSION level to the second highest).

Roughly estimate HALF to 2/3rds the compression of the current C-drive capacity but it varies a lot.

2) Still confused if Windows 8 was pre-installed or not.
If so, there should be a BACKUP IMAGE in a hidden partition. If you run this as said from bootup and the proper F-Key, then this will replace the current Windows 8 version by extracting the backup. It will end up the same as when you bought the computer.

(then it will apply Microsoft Updates, and you may need some drivers and programs... possibly delete some pre-installed crap like games)

I know you said you "lost" the disk/key but it's pretty vague and not clear if you built the computer with a disc or not.

3) There is a way to install Windows 10 for free using the Assistive option.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/accessibility/windows10upgrade

4) Consider buying an SSD if you don't have one. At least 120GB. See pcpartpicker (your Country).
- that also solves the BACKUP issue because you can:
a) install the SSD (so you can test that it works), then
b) shut down and unhook any HDD's
c) Install W10 Assistive (or W8.1 if using the KEY method)
d) Finish install
e) Verify it works, update etc.
f) Hookup older W8 drive then FORMAT it, then
g) make a BACKUP IMAGE of the new W8/W10 in case something goes wrong

OTHER:
**ASSUME that anything you do will cause a corrupted drive and plan accordingly. For example, restoring a BACKUP IMAGE could fail. Then what? Or the KEY you used may not work. Then what?

I can't stress enough to have either a:
a) backup IMAGE to secondary HDD, or
b) buy a new HDD/SSD so you can unhook the current W8 drive

One of the CHEAPEST solutions is a 1TB WD Blue drive, but an SSD can really help make the PC snappier. Unless you need the physical space then I'd get a 120GB or 250GB SSD.

Example:
120GB ($50USD) http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qf98TW/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp550ss3120gmc
250GB ($75USD) http://pcpartpicker.com/product/gf98TW/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp550ss3240gmc

As you can see the 250GB has 2x the capacity but only 1.5x the cost (roughly an extra $25 + tax).

And again, if you only have one HDD now this allows you to use the HDD as a backup. Always, always assume that your Windows drive can die at any time and have a plan for that.

Solution