Moving Windows 10 C: partition to a new Samsung SSD drive

orionreplay

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017
I am finally moving up in the world and purchased a Samsung 240gb 850EVO ssd drive. My current ASUS desktop setup was a stock Toshiba 2TB drive with the C: on a smaller 150gb partition and the D: was all the rest of the remaining 2TB. My D: is partially filled with photos, music, and a couple games.

My intent was to get Windows 10 onto a SSD to help boot times and hopefully, help the general operation of the system.

Upon connection to the system and rebooted, Windows 10 recognized the SSD and set it to be a new G: drive. (E is the dvd-rom and F is an external Seagate.)

I then used Macrium Reflect to clone the exact C: partition to the G: SSD without any issues in 11 minutes. I did note the C: and D: partitions were surrounded by smaller partitions (multiple recovery partitions and one EFI System partition). Based on the Macrium tutorial I was following, I ignored those and simply cloned the C: alone to the Samsung SSD.

My Bios still only reflects the Toshiba and shows no other bootable drives. Some light reading later and most seem to instruct me to disconnect the original drive and use its cabling to connect to the Samsung to reboot from. I have not done this yet. Will the 3 year old cabling matter to this new SSD? I specifically acquired a 6gb cable along with the SSD. Can that be swapped as well?

If this should work, how do I bring the older drive back into the mix to get the original D: back to access it like normal? Simply reconnect after a successful boot off the SSD? What makes it become my C: drive and no longer be the G:?

I feel like I am close by my bumbling around, but haven't sealed the deal yet.

orionreplay

Prominent
Feb 17, 2017

Success!!

Re-cloned and included the EFI System partition. I then shut down and disconnected the older Toshiba drive. I then rebooted off the SSD and shazam, first try, it went straight to desktop in about 10 seconds. I fiddled around a bit and then shut down. Reconnected the old Toshiba and now Windows 10 sees the original D drive and relabeled the previous C as the new G drive. I shall format that off.

I think its time for a second SSD and get the D onto it and be totally SSD. Thanks!