BSOD System Thread Exception Not Handled - Tried everything

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
Hello,

While I imagine people here probably here this fairly often, I would like to stress that solving this problem is truly quite urgent for me and I'd greatly appreciate any help whatsoever!

Yesterday I received a USB hub I ordered online. I plugged it into my desktop PC (custom built) and not long after received a BSOD with the stop code "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED".

My computer rebooted and after the Windows boot screen the same BSOD showed up. I unplugged the hub, and everything else from my PC (except the keyboard) and this continued to happen. I looked online and tried several possible fixes such as repairing any corrupted Windows system files and scanning the system drive for bad blocks, resetting group policies and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. Unfortunately I wasn't able to try some of the most promising solutions because they require going into safe mode but I get the BSOD even when booting into safe mode.

I'm stumped, and this is my PC I use for my freelance work to fill contracts regarding web development, graphic design and the like, so getting this working is of an extreme priority to me.

I realize I could probably reinstall Windows altogether, but I'd rather not if this is at all avoidable as I have a very long list of programs I use for work that I would need to reinstall (and redownload on my rather slow connection) and I've fine-tuned a lot of the settings in Windows that I'd rather not have to go through again.

Here are my specs (minus anything I think is very likely irrelevant):
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard
AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core CPU
EVGA Nvidia GTX 950 GPU
12GB DDR3 RAM
64GB OCZ Vertex SSD system drive

UPDATE: I'm not sure if this is entirely relevant but suddenly (after not making any changes) my PC became stuck at the Asus logo screen that appears just after the POST. After doing a hard restart the POST listed a "CPU Over Temperature" error. The CPU was at a (surprisingly) hot 77 Celsius. After going into the BIOS and monitoring it dropped to 61 but didn't seem to fall below. After rebooting again I'm back to the same BSOD as before.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Run a drive health test on the ssd. Run memtest 86 on the memory, what CPU do you have? If it's an 83** it could finally have killed the vrms on the board as that isn't then best board for those processors as the power phases are a bit weak.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Hmmm try underclockng the CPU a good bit like 3.0 GHz and lowering voltage a bit and see if the problem goes away. If not then it's probably not vrm related. I'd lean towards memory or a hard drive issue. Those are the most common bluescreen causes when not gaming/editing

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017

Well, I tried to run Memtest and it went through all the loading steps and then rebooted, and after going through them again it's just a black screen. I've used Memtest before (a long time ago) and I'm not sure what to make of this. I'll try underclocking like you said.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
If you're booting memtest on a USB drive and it's crashing you have a major issue. Remove all RAM but one stick and try memtest on it if it does the same thing try a different stick. Other possibility to shut down a computer that fast is a CPU overheating. Not much else running during memtest so it drastically limits crash possibilities

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017

Yes it was over USB. Now I've tried underclocking to 3Ghz and running at voltages as low as 1.15v. The same issue is occurring.

I'll try with a single stick as you suggested.

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017

AI Charger? Is this what allows charging over USB when the computer is off? If so, then yes I might have that installed although it's something that I would have had installed for a very long time. Also I can't uninstall it as I can't get into Windows without a BSOD.

I'll try and get the dmp files online as you said.

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
Even though the BSOD tells me it's "collecting information" before it reboots the PC, I can't seem to find any dmp files, either "Windowsmemory.dmp" or anything under the minidump folder.

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017

Well, this is anything but normal. Even using the CPU at full capacity for an extended period of time I've never seen it get that how. However nothing has been moved. The cooler hasn't been touched, but by removing it I would need to apply more thermal paste and I don't have any. :( I do notice that even in the BIOS the CPU is running strangely warm (55 Celcius) which is well above its idling temperature for the year since I built this PC.

Actually, as I've been writing this I'm watching the CPU temperature rise. It was 55, and it's been creeping up to 59 now...why would the temp go up while idling in the BIOS? Maybe I will have to remove and reattach the cooler after all - just hit 60 Celcius now.

I'm very concerned since this PC operated perfectly for the year since I built it right up until that BSOD happened. I'm extremely perplexed at what could have caused this so suddenly. Thank you for your help so far. I truly appreciate it!

Kai__M

Reputable
Jan 13, 2017
So I reinstalled Windows altogether and - oddly enough - everything seems to be working fine. No overheats (I have constant monitoring with push notifications) and nothing unusual whatsoever.

I'm more baffled than ever by what the problem was. In all my years of building, and testing computers, programming, and troubleshooting I've never encountered something as seemingly illogical as this. I don't know what to make of it or what advice to offer to anyone who encounters the same issue.

I'd still like to thank all of you for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to try and figure out the problem.

Kudos to you all!