Failed Primary Hard Drive - Wish to Install Windows onto New SSD - Can Someone Check My Working Please?

JAMadeus

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
Good morning everyone,

Details of issue:

- Primary hard drive on toshiba satellite 64 bit laptop failed some time ago after more and more frequent BSoD occurrences. Laptop came pre-installed with windows 8 and later free upgraded to windows 10. I continue to kick myself for the fact that I did not create dedicated recovery media...

- Using another working old laptop and linking the failed hard drive to this old laptop with a USB connection, disk drill and similar utilities allow me to see the various partitions on the failed drive, including the recovery partition, and it would seem that I can copy these to an external source if necessary.

- I have downloaded a copy of windows 8 installation media from microsoft. I will shortly make an ISO image on a DVD disk.

-I am not so bothered about cloning data from old failed hard drive since it's all backed up anyway and I think I can extract the remainder with recovery software if I need to.

My question is: I would like to set up the new SSD on the newer laptop (which originally contained the failed hard drive), with windows 10. The SSD is currently in factory condition. I have called windows and I think they will give me the license key to activate windows (from the ISO I am creating), they also seemed to think that they could help me upgrade to windows 10.

Am I going about things the right way? Do I need the stuff within the newer laptop's failed drive's recovery partition? Based on my situation could someone please summarise the steps needed to get the new laptop to working order with windows 10.

Please direct me to other answers if this question has already been asked/ answered another way!

Thank you so much.