"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause"

thatplayerguy

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
First of all I have not upgraded my hardware recently or medled with it at all other than connecting an ethernet cable to it but that was 2 weeks ago. This problem took place today morning only. Worked fine till yesterday night. I don't recall any software updates. I will attach a link of what is happening. I run Windows 10 pro 64bit on a corsair ssd which was no where near full. I have tried multiple options including the windows installation disk by which I click repair pc and type some commands on command prompt(like every other related post on tomshardware)
Link to picture:https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kgzfhotzmstae6/20170219_155108.jpg?dl=0

Solution
A useful disk is Hiren's Boot CD. It has a wide range of tools, including some to fix the BCD (The image says that is your problem). Download here (http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip) , set it to boot from it in the bios, and then select Mini XP. Go to a program entitled something along the lines of "Hiren's Program Opener". Then, go to the programs drop down menu and pick a program in the BCD section.
Hi

A list of your hardware especially the number of hard disks and SSD present would be useful.
Is the ssd the only disk drive present?
If there is a hard drive did it ever have windows installed on it?

If cmos gets corrupt and system confused about which drive windows is installed on it can cause problems which cant be fixed by booting from windows dvd or usb until this information is correctly reset

If you can get to the cmd prompt you can get a list of disk drives and partitions

Booting from something like a linux live rescue dvd or usb or hirens boot cd would allow you to see the disk contents and recover any important data or check disk for hardware faults

Regards
Mike Barnes

thatplayerguy

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

I appreciate your concern. I run Windows on an ssd (the one mentioned above) only which is 120 gb. Since there isn't much u can cramp into 120 gb now a days I have also opted for a standard 1tb 7200rpm hard drive. There are no partitions and windows has never been installed on the 1tb hardrive.

thatplayerguy

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
yes, the ssd served as my c drive(which is where I believe Windows is installed to) and the boot times were rather fast(too fast for a hard drive)

Fancdew15

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

What commands did you run?

Fancdew15

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
A useful disk is Hiren's Boot CD. It has a wide range of tools, including some to fix the BCD (The image says that is your problem). Download here (http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip) , set it to boot from it in the bios, and then select Mini XP. Go to a program entitled something along the lines of "Hiren's Program Opener". Then, go to the programs drop down menu and pick a program in the BCD section.

Solution