Is Windows 10 worth upgrading to yet?

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I really, really am against free malware. I don't want my data to be siphoned and sold. I want my OS to be a thing completely in my control to do with whatever I please with.

I'm very happy with Windows 7; it does everything I want a OS to do. But I heard some things are not going to be supported anymore (new CPU's of which mine doesn't apply) and some general bashing on these forums against reluctant people.

My primary purpose is playing demanding video games, I have a great up-to-spec PC. I am incredibly concerned at the 'free' price tag of Windows 10. Nothing is ever free, and I do not want to pay with my privacy or lack of control.

I heard you can't disable auto-updates, it still steals all of your data, it's very buggy and had zero performance gains over Windows 7. What do you guys think?

Solution
I love Windows 10, I have been using it for over two years. I have read all of the silly stories about Windows 10 but I have also looked at the real truth behind Windows 10, so I am not concerned with any data mining or any of that other conspiracy theory stuff. I say that if you have the money and can afford to buy Windows 10, I highly recommend it.
Win10 is not free anymore, and the data collection is blown out of proportion and also present in 7 and 8.1 now afaik. I went Pro to set up a group policy for "Check and notify" for updates, or if you are on WiFi set as a metered connection (can be done in "Home").

The free upgrade period to Windows 10 has been over several months ago. You will now have to pay for the privilege of having your personal usage data siphoned off.

On the Windows 10 version that I'm using, I've turned off the majority of the data siphoning. I do use DX12 in some of the current games that support it as the option to enable it is becoming more prevalent.

The Enterprise edition allows you full control over disabling data gathering.

I love Windows 10, I have been using it for over two years. I have read all of the silly stories about Windows 10 but I have also looked at the real truth behind Windows 10, so I am not concerned with any data mining or any of that other conspiracy theory stuff. I say that if you have the money and can afford to buy Windows 10, I highly recommend it.

Solution

itslockdown

Honorable
Mar 13, 2016
I personally enjoy it. I too thought, NOOOO don't take my windows 7! However, I have updated all of my machines to 10 and do not regret it. I currently work with Windows server 2012 R2 which looks like windows 8 still, and can say, it is nothing close to the nightmare that UI/UX displays. I also frequently work with Windows 7 users at work and remote into their machines, if you make a lot of administrative changes then windows 10 is much more efficient for doing so I must say :p

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Cheers for the replys guys.

FYI - There's a loophole still in 7 & 8 that allow you to upgrade to 10 for free via accessability (this may be a UK only thing, not sure). It's planning to be closed in a few months time so that's why I thought I'd ask again.

You mention the more premium versions of windows offering more control; would that be a better idea for me? E.g. this -> https://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listings/Windows-10-Enterprise/424976383?goog_pla=1&gpid=173784728461&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o4&ad_type=pla&gclid=CjwKEAiAxKrFBRDm25f60OegtwwSJABgEC-ZZxGZRVTrLLbGOHHDhH9fGv6GUq6d2o0a47tmirBwMxoCJ3jw_wcB

Subressor

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Ah... Strange, it looks quite legitimate. I'll buy it with a credit card and if it doesn't work then I'll get a refund from the card company.

So it seems like the general concensus is Windows 10 is worth the upgrade then and the privacy issues can be worked around.

I suppose as long as I can continue to torrent my movies then I'll take the upgrade and buy the enterprise version from that website. Thanks guys

nemesis1300

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2014

Unless you have some disability, you really shouldn't use that method.
Your purchases are only insured only if you buy something that costs more than £100 (or £120 can't remember) so beware of that.
As for Windows 10, go for it!