Backup System Image Fail

NathanGwyn

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
I tried to create a system image using windows. It failed... I got this message

There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set. (0x807800C5)

Additionql Information:
The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request (0x800703E3)

Any ideas of what went wrong? I'm looking into it now.

NathanGwyn

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016

I have done this before I 're installed Windows. I just ran the scif or whatever also on my freshly reseted OS. And the dcis or whatever you call it that checks system image files or whatever it actually didn't do anything. My system recovery is also messed up.... All I really can do is back up some files and in the future if I ever get a virus is use my recovery disk and reinstall Windows. It's annoying man. So does recovery methods are jackedd... I'm so seeing if its updates or something causing this I have no idea. It may be in my recovery though and irk how to check it as it has no drive I don't think.

NathanGwyn

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
**UPDATE***

I have fixed the issue & anyone else with this same problem I recommend doing the same thing.

First.

Make sure you have system protection turned on both of your drives. Your main drive C, and wherever your planning on saving the Image to which for me is drive D. You can do this by opening Control Panel/System/System Protection and clicking the drive you wish to turn system protection on to.

Next

Go to your C drive and run system check, by right clicking going to properties, tools tab and then check disk.

Second Open up command prompt in Admin mode and use the following command.
type SFC /scannow and press enter
then once its finished, copy/paste this command into same window - needs to be exact:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
(This was originally used to fix system restore issues props to Chromelord for suggesting this to me.)

After that

Wherever you first tried to save the system Image to make sure to delete the files it left like " WindowsImageBackup." If you don't wish to delete it simply rename it, but make sure to delete all files it created.

Make sure to restart after all of this and try to create a system backup image again. It should work. As i'm speaking mine is over 75% complete.

If this works for you or you wish me to make a better explained guide please ask. I searched all day for a guide and couldn't find one exact guide to help, so I ended up combining 2-4 different guides together as they are different things that can lead to system restore/ system image failures. Anyone here is welcome to actually re-write this guide as all I wish to do is help others. Have a great day/night!

georgeinontario

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

Hi, NathanGwyn. I am having a ton of problems with this Windows 10 system image back-up! For now what I've done is download, and install EaseUS backing up software, because I've had it! Luckily I had a very recent back-up of a system image from my Acer V3 laptop computer! I used Acer Backup Manager, and it worked; my Acer V3 laptop is from 2013, upgraded to Windows 8.1, then recently to version 10. It was like a miracle! I was going around BSOD for a long time; went to legacy BIOS, then returned to UEFI, and I got back to Windows 10. How the hell is it that Microsoft Windows cannot get it right? I paid for a laptop that came with the operating system, then upgraded to Windows 10, advertised and promoted as the best OS in the world, maybe the solar system; and it cannot create a system image to be backed up to a storage device, in my a case recently a 1TB external hard disk drive. However, a software utility dedicated to backing up data, photos, and documents does better, more efficient work!

In fact, from a Microsoft web site I explained my problem, and this moderator expert suggested that I uninstall my backup software; and I did, and Windows 10 backup for a system image still cannot backup, and this time to a newly partitioned, and formatted volume of an external hard disk drive that I have dedicated to backing up my important files, photos, images, texts, and documents. Sometimes I wonder what the hell, maybe I should get back to Mac. However, I did not have as much money at the time. I work with photography, and digital art, as well.

Anyhow, because I am a stickler for things working well, or very close to well, I am going to try your procedure for a solution again! Oddly, I have a Sony VAIO desktop-style computer of 2003, that operated on Windows XP, later with service pack 3; then eventually upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium OS (32-bit version). Guess what, the desktop computer running on Windows 7 has successfully backed up a system image! How weird, and nearly insane is that story? There's got to be a solution to this problem of backing up a system image by Microsoft; I think it is an important, as well as an essential capability.

Sincerely,

georgeincanada,
Also
omegaman, but can't get through for some odd reason.

TRENDING THREADS