Do I still need to install Windows if I'm just going to change the motherboard?

thesubzeroanimator

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hello everyone,

I am planning on downsizing my system from a full atx case to a mini-itx case (just because of its simplicity and space saving abilities). I've never done it before so I was wondering: do I need to reinstall Windows 10 if I'm going to use the same hard drive and other components? Also, what drivers do I need to install before moving all of the hardware onto the new motherboard (if any)?

Thanks,
Rob

Solution
Do this before changing motherboard - Reactivating win 10 after hardware changes

As for reinstalling... most of the time it helps to fresh install on a new motherboard as unless the motherboards are the same family there are going to be changes and driver mismatches, you can have drivers with no hardware and hardware with no drivers

Sometimes it works fine but better to be prepared for the alternative of errors and weird things. Back up things before you start.

As for drivers, win 10 is pretty good, its got generic drivers for most hardware but still always helps to check motherboard makers web site after install to make sure you have latest drivers.

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do this before changing motherboard - Reactivating win 10 after hardware changes

As for reinstalling... most of the time it helps to fresh install on a new motherboard as unless the motherboards are the same family there are going to be changes and driver mismatches, you can have drivers with no hardware and hardware with no drivers

Sometimes it works fine but better to be prepared for the alternative of errors and weird things. Back up things before you start.

As for drivers, win 10 is pretty good, its got generic drivers for most hardware but still always helps to check motherboard makers web site after install to make sure you have latest drivers.

Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD, if you don't have one already.

Solution