3.1 type C

Loxocemus

Prominent
Feb 18, 2017
is usb 3.1 type C always the gen 2 speed, iv been reading about the new standards and i cant figure it out.

thankyou for any and all help

A USB Type C port can run at either 5Gbps or 10Gbps and still be labeled USB 3.1 just like Type A ports designated as USB 3.1 can be Gen 1 or Gen 2.

The new USB speed naming conventions as promulgated by the industry association is a study in misrepresentation & confusion. It’s an absolute disgrace for consumers, since because of this new USB naming convention most consumers will have no idea that there can be no difference whatsoever re speed between a device advertised as USB 3.0 and another device advertised as USB 3.1.

USB 3.0 speed is 5 Gbps.

The new designations for USB devices (as promulgated by the USB Implementers Forum) are...
USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2

USB 3.1 Gen 1 speed is 5 Gbps - NOTE IT IS THE IDENTICAL SPEED FOR WHAT WE TERMED USB 3.0
Supposedly manufacturers are encouraged to use the designation "SuperSpeed USB" for these 5 Gbps devices.

USB 3.1 Gen 2 speed is 10 Gbps
Supposedly manufacturers are encouraged to use the designation "SuperSpeed USB 10 Gbps" for these devices.

So when you see a USB device (flash drive, etc.) advertised as "USB 3.1" it's a virtual certainty that device is what we formerly called a USB 3.0 flash drive. Only when it's designated as a USB 3.1 Gen 2 device can you be sure it's what we would ordinarily call a USB 3.1 device.

Now to the best of my knowledge all the Z270 motherboards that are equipped with USB 3.1 Type C ports are Gen 2. But I'm unable to state with any degree of certainty that EVERY Z270 motherboard contains this capability.