Is it my RAM or Windows which is causing Blue Screens?

sezze

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
I use Windows 10, although I upgraded from Windows 7, not a clean install. I just got 16 GB of RAM, I'm very positive that it is not defective, I've tested it as well and even sent it for RMA, yet I get blue screens pretty much every day since upgrading my RAM. I had 8 GB before this, and now that I try to use 16 problems occur. I don't think it's the mother board either, since I have tried all RAM slots with 8 GB of ram, and then it's completely fine.

So since it SEEMS like all of the hardware is ok, I'm wondering if it's something in Windows causing it. The problem with installing a fresh copy of it is that I have 1TB worth of stuff (including work) on my hard drive and I don't have a separate one so I'd have to upload the most important things which would take quite some time, so if I don't have to do it, I don't want to.

So my question is, before I go and install a fresh copy of Windows, could Windows even be responsible for the crashes or is it my hardware?

Solution
You've ran into a situation I call a ghost in the machine. It's what happens when hardware is compatible enough to boot but not enough to be completely stable.

Your problem is that you mixed RAM.

I will elaborate.

Thanks to changes in manufacturing processes and/or updated (now different) sticks that share a common part number, two pairs of sticks might not be fully compatible even if they're the same part number from the same company. Since the motherboard has to manage all the RAM via the same settings, if one set doesn't agree with those settings then you get these sort of issues. Kits are tested to make sure that all included sticks share common specs and a common profile (if applicable).

When increasing memory, don't just add...

sezze

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014

Thank you for replying, I had 2x4GB, then I bought an additional identical set of 2x4GB. So I currently have 4x4GB.
The blue screen error I got today said "DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER", not sure what the other ones have said.

You've ran into a situation I call a ghost in the machine. It's what happens when hardware is compatible enough to boot but not enough to be completely stable.

Your problem is that you mixed RAM.

I will elaborate.

Thanks to changes in manufacturing processes and/or updated (now different) sticks that share a common part number, two pairs of sticks might not be fully compatible even if they're the same part number from the same company. Since the motherboard has to manage all the RAM via the same settings, if one set doesn't agree with those settings then you get these sort of issues. Kits are tested to make sure that all included sticks share common specs and a common profile (if applicable).

When increasing memory, don't just add sticks. Buy a kit that offers the capacity you need.

Solution

Before OP goes through the trouble of the backups/uploads, I'd like to make sure that it's not the new RAM.

@sezze, if you boot with only the new RAM installed and just do whatever you were doing when it would crash, does it still crash? Try to use the machine for at least 20 minutes before just assuming it's stable.

I'm not sure about "always" but you do make a good point. However, changing the capacity of RAM usually doesn't cause a conflict (as long as the RAM is a kit) unless the Pagefile needs to be rebuilt.

sezze

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Remember I said that I sent my memory for RMA? Well they replaced my old RAM so they are both just a few weeks old, they really should be the same. Every number on the packaging is the same, so I think they were even made at the same time, that that is hidden in some number on the packaging. And I have used just half of the RAM for a couple days when testing, and it was just fine. So either they still for some reason don't mix or there's some other issue like Windows, no idea though.

Well I don't know if they'll take a return after an RMA. If they will take the return, please do so.

Either way, the only way to get 16GB of RAM where all the sticks are guaranteed to be compatible is to get a 16GB kit (not two 8GB kits).

Please list your motherboard and CPU so I can recommend a compatible kit that won't break the bank.

You're going to want DDR3 1600MHz for your hardware.

Technically, your board supports 1866MHz and 2133MHz, but these are OC speeds and I can't guarantee system stability seeing that your motherboard has already proven to be rather picky in terms of memory specs.