Dell Inspiron 620 Upgrade (i3 to Xeon?)

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Hello to all on the forums,

I got an old Dell Inspiron 620 lying around that I used way back when as a budget gaming PC that I am trying to find a use for.

Specs:

i3 2120 @ 3.3ghz
2x2gb 1333 ddr3
h61 (i think) Dell Mobo
400w PSU (no extra connectors)
1 TB HDD
Windows 7

I have another PC with an i7 7600k, 16gb ddr4 and a gtx 1080 as my primary system, so I am not interested in using this as a primary system, but I am considering converting it into a HTPC/light gaming PC for other people in my home, or just couch use, but I think it would need a bit of an upgrade to get there. I could also sell it, but I don't think I'd get much, so I want to evaluate my options before posting it on craigslist

I can bump the 4gb to 8 pretty easily and cheaply, and I think a 1050 ti would go nicely with the PSU (i ran a 750 ti overclocked in this PC before without any issues), which just leaves the CPU. Its not a terrible CPU, but i am considering what I could do with it. An i5 would definitely be an upgrade, but since I can't overclock, an i7 would be preferable. I am also considering xeons, as there seem to be quite a few cheap ones to choose from, but I am not sure about compatibly.

Anyone know where I can find a definite list of what works and doesn't in this system CPU wise? Will any xeons work? Does anyone have recommendations on where to find some good used CPUs or ddr3 for cheap (I live on the west coast)? Any good reuse ideas for an old system like this?

On a side note I may pop the gtx 1080 into the system if I can fit it and run some games with the i3 2120 just to see what kind of bottle neck I am dealing with.

For better clarification use something like CPU-Z to identify the specific motherboard model. Compatibility depends on the motherboard. The chipset gives some indication of what it could potentially support. As such I refer you to this: http://ark.intel.com/products/52806/Intel-H61-Express-Chipset

There are no Xeons on the list of compatible CPUs with the H61 chipset. The other CPUs you explicitly mention can potentially run on that motherboard. Two points of consideration: (1) a BIOS update may be required and (2) some prebuilt PCs have a locked BIOS limiting upgrades (this is rare but a possibility).

The one thing I would mention is narrow down what this PC will be used for. Truthfully an i7 for a light gaming PC doesn't sound right to me.

well, for watching movies/videos it's perfectly fine as is.

For gaming it's lacking, you could put a GTX 750ti in there most likely (may need a low-profile model) and it becomes a decent light gaming system, for things like CSGO, minecraft, or non-FPS important games like Civilization.