Move operating system from hdd to ssd without losing any data

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I want to move the operating system from my hard drive to ssd without losing any data. I havent got anything to back up my data on either. I would like clear and easy steps so that a complete newbie like me could understand

Solution
installing win 10 - an hour at most

Installing everything else - depends how organised you are before you do it. Will always forget something but if you have a list of the codes you need (user names and password for any subscriptions you have) then you can always get most things back. Cloud saves are your friend. USB's with all the drivers you might need and backups of all the files you don't want to lose. << this is easier still if you clean installing on a new drive and have everything still on old drive...

anyway, I leave it to USAFRet :)
If the new ssd can hold the used contents of your hard drive, the answer is easy.

1. Buy a Samsung evo ssd of suitable size.
2. Use the free Samsung ssd migration aid to move the "C" drive to the new ssd.
3. Replace your current hard drive with the ssd.

The old hard drive can then be repurposed for whatever.

USAFRet

Titan

What is the size of the new SSD?
How much total used space is consumed on the current HDD?

Assuming things 'fit', like this:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

USAFRet

Titan

Right.
Which is why the initial questions were asked.
Used space matters.

Obviously, 416GB will not fit in a 250GB drive.

Two choices.
1. Reduce that 416GB down to ~200GB. Doc/music/video...move to a different drive. (I know you said you don't have one, but we have not yet enabled the "MAGIC" option for drive space)

2. Clean install of the OS on the new SSD. This, of course, requires that you reinstall everything else.

What is your new ssd?
If it is Samsung, The Samsung migration aid has an option to exclude large data folders from the move.
After the move, your data will still be available on the old hard drive..

Otherwise, if some of your games are on steam, I understand that there is a procedure to leave them on the hard drive.

USAFRet

Titan

Whatever tool you use, you cannot squish 416GB into a 240GB drive.
Does not work.

Nor can you move 'only' the OS.
Nor can you select specific applications.

You can, if this is a Samsung drive, exclude things like doc/music/video. The Samsung Data Migration has that functionality.
But other than that, everything goes.

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Can i back up all my data apart from the o.s, wipe the data on the hard drive and then do a clean install of o.s like i was installing it for the first time?if so could you provide specific steps because i always come across videos that show alternative methods and other gimmicks etc and arent in the exact same position as me so i get jumbled up

USAFRet

Titan

Be sure you are correctly thinking of what is "my data".
Doc/music/video/txt...yes.
Browser exports and settings...yes.
Applications, no.

Since you originally stated "I havent got anything to back up my data on"...where will you back this up to?

USAFRet

Titan

You still have the problem of 416GB in your current install and a 250GB drive.

2 options.
1. Clean install of the OS on the SSD. This, of course, requires a reinstall of all your applications. You will be starting from a bare OS.
Some things you can transfer over. Browser settings, for instance. Photos and video, no problem. Steam games, probably.
Applications? No

2. Clone from the old drive to the new drive.
This requires that you get the actual used space on the current install to below 200GB. Uninstall, move some stuff to the external drive that you will borrow...however you get there...below 200GB.
We can discuss specific steps for the cloning operation if you desire.

Pcenthusiast16

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
I think ill go woth option 1, does steam keep your game save data? Im askig this because i want to know if i transfer all my game saves. Also if my move the o.s to the ssd, is that where the program files 86 folder will be stored?

USAFRet

Titan

1. I believe it does. You'll have to verify just to be sure.

2. Yes. But you can install applications and games on either drive. They do NOT have to be installed in the 'Program Files' folder on the SSD.
Read these:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Steam games can be installed on multiple drives and folders. Here:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
5RXQa0Y.jpg

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

USAFRet

Titan

"absolutely everything" ?
No.
1. A DVD is pretty small. Like 1 movie small.

2. Since you are doing a clean install on this drive, your applications will need to be reinstalled. You can't move them to a DVD and hope that they would actually work. They won't.

USAFRet

Titan

However you got them in the system the first time, you'll probably have to do that again.
I imagine it would depend on the specific mod and how it interacts with the system and game.

Colif

Win 11 Master
installing win 10 - an hour at most

Installing everything else - depends how organised you are before you do it. Will always forget something but if you have a list of the codes you need (user names and password for any subscriptions you have) then you can always get most things back. Cloud saves are your friend. USB's with all the drivers you might need and backups of all the files you don't want to lose. << this is easier still if you clean installing on a new drive and have everything still on old drive...

anyway, I leave it to USAFRet :)

Solution