Very slow transfer speeds between internal m.2 SSD and internal SATA III HDD

Devinology

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
I built a computer not long ago and it is running nicely but there is one strange issue I cannot figure out.

The MB is a Gigabyte Z170A Gaming 5 v1.1. The SSD is a Samsing 850 evo m.2 hooked up to one of the m.2 slots on the MB. The HDD is a WD green 5400rpm SATA III 6Gb/s drive hooked up to a SATA controller on the MB. I pulled the HDD out of an external hard drive enclosure to use as internal storage since the SSD is only 250GB and I have two WD 4TB externals to use for external storage now. I know the internal HDD is not great, but it really doesn't need to be since the OS, programs, and any games I currently play are all run from the SSD.

When tested with HDtune, the speeds for both the SSD and HDD are as they should be. I get decent transfer rates between either drive and any other drive including USB drives. There are no errors or other problems with the drives.

But here is the strange thing: transfers of any file size and number between the SSD and HDD are absolutely abysmal. I'm talking 1-2 MB/s. Sometimes there is a short burst up to 5-10 MB/s when the transfer first starts or randomly in the middle of the transfer, but most of the time it is at 1-2 MB/s. I don't expect great transfer rates with this HDD but transfers between it and any other drive are at least 25-30 MB/s, sometimes higher (HDtune puts it at about 150MB/s capability). Normally transfers between internal drives should be the best case scenario.

Anyone know what is going on? Is it a bios setting that needs tweaking? I'm using default bios settings besides a modest overclock on the CPU (i5 6600K running at 4500Mhz) and I had to change some memory settings to get the full speed out of the RAM (3200 gskill ripjaw V's). The bios is updated to the newest version and I'm using all the drivers from the MB website. I should also mention that I use teracopy as the default file transfer utility (which is typically faster), but I get the same issues if windows handles the transfers. I'm running Windows 7 ultimate x64 fully updated.

Devinology

Commendable
Feb 9, 2017
Update:

I get transfer rates of about 70 MB/s when transferring from the internal HDD to the internal SSD, so the slow transfers of 1-2 MB/s only happen when it is the other way around, from the SSD to HDD. I didn't notice since I'm only ever transferring things or backing things up from the SSD to the HDD. It's so odd, because both the read and write speeds of both discs have been demonstrated normal when they occur between one of these drives and a USB HDD or thumb drive. The ONLY time I get slow transfers is from the SSD to HDD. Still haven't figured out why.