Help needed with Memory leak on 16gb DDR4 RAM

mikemefistous

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016
So, for the last 6-8 months that i own this PC:

i5 6600K 4.3GHz
16gb DDR4 2666MHz (2x8gb, each of em are single and running in single channel mode)
Z170x gaming 3 Gigabyte MOBO
GTX970 Gigabyte G1 4gb Vram(3.5gb)
DELL U2414H (1920x1080@60Hz)
Samsung Evo 850 250gb SSD(chrome installed here)
1tb Seagate HHDD 7200rpm
3tb Baracuda HDD 7200rpm
Had windows 7 x64 installed but upgraded to windows 10 without formating about 3 months ago(kept all of my programms from win 7 intact).
I started noticing those memory leak issues after upgrading to win 10.

My MOBO came equipped with the program called Killer Network which i had externaly downloaded and installed on my win 7 version and people on reddit had a thread about it causing memory leak on windows 10, but that was a year old post and there have been patches for it ever since.

After uninstalling that program and still experiencing the memory leak issue i just came to the conclusion that Chrome is causing the memory leak, however the windows task manager won't show chrome utilizing that much memory and all the memory shown doesn't add up to 16 gigs.

Once the memory is almost full at 98-99%, the PC will start creating some sound artifacts when playing a video and freeze from time to time, until i close the chrome app.

Actually i didn't know it was a memory leak, up until a week ago, where i noticed the artifacts and i randomly opened the task manager and saw the memory being filled up.

Now i am one of those users who use The Great Suspender chrome extension, as i am usually running chrome with about 20-40 tabs open.

When i open the chrome i usually roam around reddit and watch youtube vids or have them play in the background for commentary, while i am browsing or playing games on facebook.

After about 3-4 hours of having the chrome app open, it's when i start noticing the artifacts and check the task manager to see my memory at 98-99%

Other apps i have in chrome are "Hover Zoom" and "Adguard" (an ads blocker app)

Anyone knows what's causing this memory leak?

Hit Shift and Escape keys at the same time. This will bring up the Chrome task manager where you can see which specific Chrome tab is using all the memory. I sometimes have the issue of one specific site consuming more and more memory (PGATour.com), but it doesn't always happen. Other times it is my local weather radar.

mikemefistous

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016

Thanks for that tip, i'll try doing it when my RAM is filled again. Although windows task manager shows a chrome icon/process for each tab already.

Windows task manager shows a bunch of google Chrome Tabs and their memory usage, but doesn't specify which website is using how much memory (at least on Windows 8.1 Pro). They all just say "google chrome" with no further details. Maybe Windows 10 shows more information.

mikemefistous

Reputable
Jun 3, 2016

I tried out with the chrome task manager, it still won't show anything.

However a new thing i noticed, is that the ram did specifically start to fill while i was in a particular game i was playing on facebook and watching youtube vids in parallel.

But i've just been playing games on facebook, the past week and the exact same game runs with no issues on win10 chrome on my cheap 720p res i3 laptop with 4gb of RAM with the same chrome addons over there as well and the same chrome account connected and everything synced.