IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_THAN Windows crash error only when playing CS:GO

Ardius

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Around 2 weeks ago I completed my first PC build (below), and everything was fine in terms of assembly and initial performance. The intended use of this PC is for gaming and post-secondary school work, so I haven't really ventured very far outside the standard utilities that most "gamers" download. However, come Friday, the game I play the most, CS:GO, will continuously crash (force restart) my PC with the vague "kernel power (event 41)(task 63)" error in event viewer. My margin for system change is ~1 week since I took a break from CS due to a busy schedule.

Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64bit, build 14393

CPU: i5-7600k, 3.8GHz, non-overclocked

RAM: 1x8gb, Avexir Core 2400 DDR4

GPU: Sapphire Nitro RX 480, 8gb

PSU: EVGA G2, 550W 80+ Gold

MOBO: MSI z270A-Pro

I also have an SSD for files and Windows, and a separate HDD for games.

While performing some troubleshooting, I have so far:

- Reinstalled Windows 10 Education 64bit, build 14393
- Ran memtest86 and found no issues
- Ran Prime95 and found no issues
- Ran Heaven Benchmark and found no issues
- Updated all drivers(or as many as I could find that needed updating)
- Tested other games that are more intensive than CS:GO (such as Dark Souls 3, Dying Light, Minecraft [extreme modded], and Lords of the Fallen) all on max possible settings and the crash hasn't reoccurred outside of CS:GO
- PC temps are normal throughout all tests ranging between 50C to 70C (max) under load. However GPU temp seems to surpass this max in CS:GO for some reason, but only by at most 5-8 degrees
- Uninstalled the latest Windows 10 cumulative security update
- Checked cable management to ensure there were no misaligned power cables.
- Ran WhoCrashed and found nothing conclusive, stating that the issue is most likely driver related with a margin for error.
- Verified the CS:GO game cache and local files
- Tweaked power setting so HDD and PC won't ever sleep after a period of time.

Conclusion:

My PC is capable of running strenuous games and tests with no issues, yet when playing CS:GO my PC force restarts the moment I try to play on a public server or shortly thereafter. My research says that my PSU might be faulty, but that doesn't add up since everything runs smoothly outside of CS:GO, and that my PSU is pretty highly regarded as a "high end" PSU in terms of quality. I may have forgotten to include some of the troubleshooting options that I performed, but will update if I remember. I am currently at a loss as to what I can do to fix this problem and any help would be appreciated.

Minidump from WhoCrashed:
On Mon 2017-02-20 6:10:21 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022017-5015-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x14A6F0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80005396759)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 2017-02-20 6:10:21 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80005396759)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 2017-02-20 4:15:34 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022017-5046-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x149F90)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF801C0D93FE5)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

OneDrive link to most recent dmp file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmX4btfVPlcgiE9CXCIzg3m3TUDZ

Pedro Ivo

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016
Hi, this may not be the case, but I had JUST THE SAME ISSUE. Ran everytest, no error found. Played strenous games, no blue screen. Just opened a shitty steam game? have fun with this blue screen. I just replaced my ram and now everything is in order. Also, try switching memory slots, it may be a faulty mem slot, just to be sure.

Ardius

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Windows reinstalled fine onto my SSD for the second time, so I don't think that the install itself is a problem. As for if it was the PSU, I don't get how it can run things that are far more intensive for both the CPU and GPU and not experience any problems, yet moments after I join a CS:GO game I get blue screened. If the PSU was faulty, I don't see why everything except one game works fine.