Freesync on nvidia card?

Giannis_4

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
Hello everyone. I want to buy a new gaming monitor (currently have my pc plugged on my tv...).

My pc spec is: https://i.imgur.com/qZA2QiW.png

I am interesting in buying a monitor with more than 60Hz since I do feel some stuttering/tearing when I move my mouse while gaming and generally the game is not smooth even if I have a constant 60 frames.

Anyway, I was searching for monitors and found out that freesync monitors are considerable cheaper than g-sync.. I don't have a lot of money to spent, I was thinking for a monitor at 27 inch for 400-450 dollar max.

I found some good freesync monitors on that range and some of the where 2560x1440. But I have an Nvidia card :(. Will my pc benefit from a freesync monitor? g-sync monitors are not on my price capabilities...

what would you suggest me to buy? Thanks

(sorry for bad english)

Solution
Then for your uses and needs I think 1440p 144Hz is a reasonable purchase. It will be good for gaming on for many years and outlast a handful of GPUs most likely.
You can buy and use a 1440p, 144Hz Freesync monitor and use it perfectly well on your Nvidia GPU. However you will not be able to take advantage of the adaptive refresh rate (Freesync) technology. It will basically be like owning a monitor without any Freesync or Gysnc features.

Overall it should still be a great experience moving to 144Hz 1440p over playing on a TV, even if you don't take advantage of Freesync or Gsync technologies. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade.

But the other thing you need to consider is your GPU. Many modern Triple-A titles you will not be able to achieve more than 60 FPS on 1440p max settings. In order to get close to the 144 FPS in games like Witcher 3 and BF1 you would need to lower your settings, or upgrade your GPU. However if max settings on Triple-A titles isn't your goal, your current GPU will be fine for some decent gaming at 1440p with higher framerates.

Giannis_4

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

Thank you very much for answering. To be honest, I dont play tripple A games very often. 90% of my time is MMOs, where I can easily get more than 60fps on full settings... it is just not smooth on 60hz , especially when moving and changing directions/camera fast.

But this is not the only reason I am going to buy a monitor.. I am moving house and i ll have a free room for "entertainment" and so space for a desk and not need to have my pc on TV... so I am gonna buy a monitor anyway.. I just want to make a good choice and move on a little from 1080p (still dont want to go to 4k cause I dont have the hardware for it and because in MMOs I need to read UI and chat and so 4k would be very small... I think 1440p is enough :) )